View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM  
carbonfiber

Rep: Reputation: 46
Indeed, if this goes on it'll turn into a flamewar in no time. I'm going to try to prevent a flamewar from starting, so I'll be on topic.

My nomination for Worst Distro Ever goes to Slackware. I can't believe people still use that atrocity. Package management sucks -and- is composed of shell scripts as I remember it. Is it supposed to be funny? I'm not laughing. The installer is simply garbage (probably a consequence of poor package management) - some Slackware users speak out against the bloat of Ubuntu yet forget to mention that obtaining a "minimalistic" Slackware installation is highly difficult (assuming you've not done it before and already know exactly what packages you need/don't need). The Slackware website is incredibly out of date. The number of official packages is very low compared to other, much better, distributions. To me this just says one thing: lazy developers. You can't get off your arse to create at least a half-decent package management utility -nor- provide a decent amount of official packages? The "KISS" principle is not supposed to be an excuse for lame software, sorry. Look at CRUX and Arch Linux, they follow KISS and don't suck. How many developers does Slackware even have? 5? That's got "interesting and fun to work on" written all over it. Not. And what about the users? Only two kinds of people use Slackware: newbies who think using Slackware will make them "learn", "real men", "good with the ladies" and give them "geek street credibility"; and regular users who consider themselves advanced and enlightened, always replying to posts as this one saying "i've been using linux since 1993 so i'm not a newbie and i still like slackware" - if 17 years of using Linux has not taught you that Slackware is a disaster.. well.. `nuff said. Surely, from a technical point of view, there are probably much worse distributions out there.. but none of them can be accused of poisoning the minds of young children with LIES such as "once you go Slack you never go back" and "omg use Slackware and you will be elite, don't use neWbuntu". So you see? Slackware is not only a technically-challenged distribution, it is also pure Evil. That is what makes it the Worst.. Distro.. Ever.., in my humble opinion.

Last edited by carbonfiber; 01-12-2010 at 04:26 PM.

7 members found this post helpful.
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.