LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Sabayon
User Name
Password
Sabayon This forum is for the discussion of Sabayon Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
DanySK
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLinux View Post
Is Sabayon very nice to use?
It is KDE or Gnome?
Easy to install MP3 plugins?
I am using it as main OS. I liked it immediately when I was new to Linux because of the OOTB support for many components which normally require manual installation on other distros like proprietary drivers, codecs and so on.
It was a big DVD of 4GB with both GNOME and KDE3.5 (as default). With the switch to KDE4 Sabayon was splitted in two editions (GNOME and KDE), the effort of the devel team is the same for both. Just choose the DE you like.
Nowadays there are also other spins with LXDE, XFCE, e17, Fluxbox, but there is less effort on those, I don't like them that much.

Codecs (and hardware GPU acceleration through VDPAU and VAAPI) are configured by default and available since the first live boot, .
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanySK View Post
I am using it as main OS. I liked it immediately when I was new to Linux because of the OOTB support for many components which normally require manual installation on other distros like proprietary drivers, codecs and so on.
It was a big DVD of 4GB with both GNOME and KDE3.5 (as default). With the switch to KDE4 Sabayon was splitted in two editions (GNOME and KDE), the effort of the devel team is the same for both. Just choose the DE you like.
Nowadays there are also other spins with LXDE, XFCE, e17, Fluxbox, but there is less effort on those, I don't like them that much.

Codecs (and hardware GPU acceleration through VDPAU and VAAPI) are configured by default and available since the first live boot, .
Can I have both KDE and gnome both installed?
So that I can switch between them, like in Mandriva, Fedora etc.
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
FredGSanford
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Mageia Cauldron & Salix 14
Posts: 943
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 81
Quote:
Can I have both KDE and gnome both installed?
So that I can switch between them, like in Mandriva, Fedora etc.
You know you can install both or all DE/WM with any Linux...
 
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGSanford View Post
You know you can install both or all DE/WM with any Linux...
But KDE and Gnome of Sabayon are of two separate ISO files.
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:09 AM   #20
DanySK
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLinux View Post
But KDE and Gnome of Sabayon are of two separate ISO files.
That one is the default de.choose one of them then install the other, that's it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Sabayon 5.2 Gnome x86 boots off USB nice! linus72 Sabayon 7 04-03-2010 04:39 AM
Sabayon KDE AMD x86-64 2.6.29-sabayon - something worth trying. rysiekmus2 Sabayon 1 06-17-2009 04:01 AM
Sabayon hashbangbinbash Linux - Desktop 16 05-21-2008 08:41 AM
Google has been nice to my site. Is it nice to your site? Travis86 General 5 08-31-2003 01:38 PM
Nice and confused about nice Hangdog42 Linux - General 5 06-03-2003 04:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration