LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Red Hat (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/)
-   -   XP will not connect to Centos 5 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/xp-will-not-connect-to-centos-5-a-906686/)

mallettaa 10-06-2011 01:35 AM

XP will not connect to Centos 5
 
I am running Centos 5 as a file server in a Windows AD domain. The shares were working fine until a couple of days ago. A few specially configured XP box will not restore mapped drives to this server nor will it connect to the server from the URL box, I receive the following error: Unable to restore connection; windows cannot find "\\servername\", Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the start button and then clicking search.
I have search the web for the past few days but I am unable to locate any possible fix for this problem. Again these XP boxes were connecting to the server at one time but now it's not working.

Any help would be appreciated

Tony

TB0ne 10-06-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallettaa (Post 4491305)
I am running Centos 5 as a file server in a Windows AD domain. The shares were working fine until a couple of days ago. A few specially configured XP box will not restore mapped drives to this server nor will it connect to the server from the URL box, I receive the following error: Unable to restore connection; windows cannot find "\\servername\", Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the start button and then clicking search.
I have search the web for the past few days but I am unable to locate any possible fix for this problem. Again these XP boxes were connecting to the server at one time but now it's not working.

Please don't hijack someone elses thread with your own question.

That said, the obvious question to ask here is "What changed???" If it was working, and now it's not, something changed/happened to make it STOP working. Also, you mention that "a few" of your XP boxes won't connect, which implies that OTHER Windows boxes will. Is that the case? Have you tried mapping the drives with an IP address versus a server name? Checked to make sure the SMB and NMB services are started? What do the Samba logs say when you try to map?

XavierP 10-06-2011 12:25 PM

I have now merged the thread and the posts into one place.

unSpawn 10-06-2011 12:40 PM

...and I have removed the identical post after the merge. Let's see if it takes more than two moderators to fix threads :-]

mallettaa 10-06-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4491522)
Please don't hijack someone elses thread with your own question.

That said, the obvious question to ask here is "What changed???" If it was working, and now it's not, something changed/happened to make it STOP working. Also, you mention that "a few" of your XP boxes won't connect, which implies that OTHER Windows boxes will. Is that the case? Have you tried mapping the drives with an IP address versus a server name? Checked to make sure the SMB and NMB services are started? What do the Samba logs say when you try to map?



Didn't know I was hijacking a post I placed in my another thread.

What changed? the following two files (smb.conf, nsswitch.conf) were changed by the Gnome authentication GUI. I restored the two files from a backup on the server. Other Vista and XP computers connect, however these XP boxes have been harden. SMB, NMB, and Winbind are running. I get the same error if I try to map via the IP or the server name, I get the same error "windows cannot find "\\servername or IP\". check spelling and try again


I don't have the exact syntax from the log but it states the write_data: write failure in writing to the client, connection reset by peer
also there's a another statement that states smbd: client closed the connection

TB0ne 10-07-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallettaa (Post 4492006)
Didn't know I was hijacking a post I placed in my another thread.

Posting your own question that's only partially related to someone elses, in a thread that they started, is hijacking a thread. And double-posting the same question isn't good either.
Quote:

What changed? the following two files (smb.conf, nsswitch.conf) were changed by the Gnome authentication GUI. I restored the two files from a backup on the server. Other Vista and XP computers connect, however these XP boxes have been harden. SMB, NMB, and Winbind are running. I get the same error if I try to map via the IP or the server name, I get the same error "windows cannot find "\\servername or IP\". check spelling and try again

I don't have the exact syntax from the log but it states the write_data: write failure in writing to the client, connection reset by peer
also there's a another statement that states smbd: client closed the connection
I've bolded two sections above. If your Samba server is working (as is indicated by other Windows boxes being able to use it), and the Samba logs say specifically it's a client issue ("client closed the connection"), I'd start with looking at the XP workstations, and comparing them against other XP workstations that you hardened, and find out what's different. Chances are, some network port/service that Samba needs is being blocked.

mallettaa 10-07-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4492442)

If your Samba server is working (as is indicated by other Windows boxes being able to use it), and the Samba logs say specifically it's a client issue ("client closed the connection"), I'd start with looking at the XP workstations, and comparing them against other XP workstations that you hardened, and find out what's different. Chances are, some network port/service that Samba needs is being blocked.

Here's whats going on.
The problem I'm having with these XP's are: first they were build from am image that was given to us by the program office, they're also in a protective OU (to control security updates and system/application patches and polices). The workstations were working until about a week ago. I check the event logs and the clients but there is nothing there. I changed the computer name of the client and created a computer account in the OU that I have control of, rejoined the system to the domain under my OU, we also enabled all disabled services and after a few reboot the system was able to access the samba shares. We also tried just enabling services but hasn't work.

The problem is I have to return the system to their original state, i.e. computer name, OU and disabled services, but I am having problems finding what when wrong.


Thanks again for your help
Tony

mallettaa 10-13-2011 05:00 PM

The XP computers are closing the ports as soon as they open.

I think I've narrowed down the problem to this error in the log.


smbd[8148]: setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources:
smbd[8148]: [date/time] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1077)
smbd[8148]: IP (IP) connect to service Software as user domain\username (uid 3430, gid 602) (pid 8148)
smbd[8148]: [date/time] smbd/service.c:close_cnum (1274)
smbd[8148]: IP (IP) closed connection to service Software


If you have any suggestion I would appreciate it,
Thanks Tony


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.