LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
peddip
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: 16
Unable to insert the DAT72 Tape in tape drive.


Hi,

I have dell poweredge 830 server with tape drive and RHEL 4 running on it....the issue i am facing is,i am unable to insert the tape as i had ejected the tape forcefully from it....

i tried to do a listing of the contents backedup on tape and it got struck in middle throwing below error,

/dev/st0:device input/output error. after which i was unable to eject the tape using
mt -f /dev/st0 rewoffl

i removed the tape by holding the eject button and now when i try to insert another tape, it's unable to take the tape in to tape drive...

i've tried doing all except reeboting the server, can any one help me out in this issue, hope the blow information may help in debugging the issue...

# dmesg | grep scsi

(scsi0:A:6:0): Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB

(scsi0:A:6:0): Abort Message Sent

(scsi0:A:6:0): SCB 2 - Abort Completed.

scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message

scsi0: At time of recovery, card was not paused

scsi0: Dumping Card State while idle, at SEQADDR 0x9

(scsi0:A:6:0): Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB

(scsi0:A:6:0): Abort Message Sent

(scsi0:A:6:0): SCB 2 - Abort Completed.

scsi0:A:6: no active SCB for reconnecting target - issuing BUS DEVICE RESET

scsi0: Dumping Card State in Status phase, at SEQADDR 0x1a6

scsi0: Bus Device Reset on A:6. 0 SCBs aborted

scsi0:A:6: no active SCB for reconnecting target - issuing BUS DEVICE RESET

scsi0: Dumping Card State in Data-in phase, at SEQADDR 0x1a6

scsi0: Bus Device Reset on A:6. 0 SCBs aborted



# cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00

Vendor: SEAGATE Model: DAT DAT72-052 Rev: A16E

Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: CERC Model: Virtual Disk 1 Rev: V1.0

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00

Vendor: CERC Model: SATA1.5/6ch Stri Rev: V1.0

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02



# lsmod

Module Size Used by

vfat 16577 0

fat 49761 1 vfat

udf 87753 0

nls_utf8 3393 1

sg 42489 0

dcdipm 68980 2

dcdbas 50964 2

parport_pc 29313 0

lp 15089 0

parport 43981 2 parport_pc,lp

md5 5697 1

ipv6 281184 25

autofs4 23241 1

i2c_dev 13633 0

i2c_core 28481 1 i2c_dev

sunrpc 168121 1

ds 21449 0

yenta_socket 22977 0

pcmcia_core 69329 2 ds,yenta_socket

button 9057 0

battery 11209 0

ac 6729 0

joydev 11841 0

uhci_hcd 34665 0

ehci_hcd 33349 0

tg3 85701 0

floppy 65809 0

st 41957 0

dm_snapshot 18689 0

dm_zero 3649 0

dm_mirror 24401 2

ext3 137297 7

jbd 68912 1 ext3

dm_mod 64001 10 dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror

megaraid_mbox 39440 0

megaraid_mm 13496 5 megaraid_mbox

ata_piix 10884 0

libata 49288 1 ata_piix

aacraid 72096 7

aic7xxx 149497 0

sd_mod 19393 7

scsi_mod 140177 7 sg,st,megaraid_mbox,libata,aacraid,aic7xxx,sd_mod


waiting for responses ....quick help required ...
 
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,996

Rep: Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddip View Post
Hi,

I have dell poweredge 830 server with tape drive and RHEL 4 running on it....the issue i am facing is,i am unable to insert the tape as i had ejected the tape forcefully from it....

i tried to do a listing of the contents backedup on tape and it got struck in middle throwing below error,

/dev/st0:device input/output error. after which i was unable to eject the tape using
mt -f /dev/st0 rewoffl

i removed the tape by holding the eject button and now when i try to insert another tape, it's unable to take the tape in to tape drive...

i've tried doing all except reeboting the server, can any one help me out in this issue, hope the blow information may help in debugging the issue...

waiting for responses ....quick help required ...

If you need quick help, call Dell or RedHat. You've got support from both of them, and we volunteer our time to try to help folks, so telling us to hurry isn't a good thing.

Reboot the server first, and power-cycle it, along with the tape drive(s), to flush any errors that may be lingering.
 
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
peddip
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
If you need quick help, call Dell or RedHat. You've got support from both of them, and we volunteer our time to try to help folks, so telling us to hurry isn't a good thing.

Reboot the server first, and power-cycle it, along with the tape drive(s), to flush any errors that may be lingering.
Hi,

I have tried rebboting the server but no luck!!!!...But this time the tape drive has not been detected by the server....
when i try to see ls -l /dev/st0* or ls -l /dev/nst0* it say's no such file or Dir....

All the three lights on my tape drive keeps blinking continously.....

Can you please let me know how can i proceed further ????
 
Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
peddip
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddip View Post
Hi,

I have tried rebooting the server but no luck!!!!...But this time the tape drive has not been detected by the server....
when i try to see ls -l /dev/st0* or ls -l /dev/nst0* it say's no such file or Dir....

All the three lights on my tape drive keeps blinking continously.....

Can you please let me know how can i proceed further ????
_____________________________________________________________________
Output of dmesg | grep scsci shows the below,

scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
scsi2 : aacraid
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
scsi3 : ata_piix
scsi4 : ata_piix
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 1, lun 0, type 0
______________________________________________________________________
Output ot cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows the below,

Attached devices:
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: CERC Model: Virtual Disk 1 Rev: V1.0
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: CERC Model: SATA1.5/6ch Stri Rev: V1.0
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
_______________________________________________________________________

I am unable to find any information related to Tape drive and i think that it has not been detected, I've did multiple reboots and left with no luck...... Please help me in making my tape drive detected.....


Thanks,
Peddi.
 
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,996

Rep: Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddip View Post
Hi,

I have tried rebboting the server but no luck!!!!...But this time the tape drive has not been detected by the server....
when i try to see ls -l /dev/st0* or ls -l /dev/nst0* it say's no such file or Dir....

All the three lights on my tape drive keeps blinking continously.....

Can you please let me know how can i proceed further ????
I did in my first post...CALL DELL. You've got a hardware problem.
 
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
peddip
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
I've got the Tape drive from segate and my company has no details about the vendor,will it work if i remove the tape drive and reconnect it again..??

Now my tape drive is bine detected after reconnecting it, But no luck with that as i am still facing issues with it. I am able to insert the tape in the drive but when i run my backup script it starts and stops in middle and gives the below error,

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/home/cvsroot/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/Emptydir/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/loginfo
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/loginfo,v
tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot write: Input/output error
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I am not sure whats going wrong, It aslo makes some crancky nosie and then gives the above error.

Can any one help me out here...???

Last edited by peddip; 12-26-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Added new comments
 
Old 12-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,996

Rep: Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddip View Post
I've got the Tape drive from segate and my company has no details about the vendor,will it work if i remove the tape drive and reconnect it again..??

Now my tape drive is bine detected after reconnecting it, But no luck with that as i am still facing issues with it. I am able to insert the tape in the drive but when i run my backup script it starts and stops in middle and gives the below error,

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
/home/cvsroot/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/Emptydir/
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/loginfo
/home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/loginfo,v
tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot write: Input/output error
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot read: Input/output error
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I am not sure whats going wrong, It aslo makes some crancky nosie and then gives the above error.

Can any one help me out here...???
YOU HAVE A BROKEN TAPE DRIVE....REPAIR IT OR GET A NEW ONE...

Don't know how to say it more clearly...said earlier that you have a hardware problem.
 
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
peddip
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Thanks TBone....it's an hardware issue and i've been coordinating with the vendor.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,996

Rep: Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673Reputation: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by peddip View Post
Thanks TBone....it's an hardware issue and i've been coordinating with the vendor.
Thanks for sharing that...
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tape Backups and How can i find out the Name (label) of the tape in the drive?? helptonewbie Linux - Newbie 2 10-27-2008 08:20 AM
Insert tape in Drive doders Linux - Hardware 1 09-18-2007 08:54 PM
Usb Dat72 External Tape Not Shown snitoor Linux - Hardware 1 06-05-2007 07:30 PM
hp storageworks dat72 tape not detected in rhel4 AS version shaiju789 Linux - Hardware 2 02-04-2007 12:04 PM
Using a DDS5 tape drive to restore from a DDS3 backup tape. AndrewCAtWayofthebit Linux - Hardware 1 05-14-2006 10:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration