udev, create raw disk device, how?
How do I create a raw disk device under RHES 5? Sybase wants raw disk space.
Under ver. 4 I used to to the following
1. create the dir. /dev/raw
2. mknod /dev/raw/raw1 c 162 1
3. raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sdc1
4. edit the /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions file and assign the device to sybase.
5. edit the file /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices with the line
6. run /etc/init.d/rawdevices
7. do a chkconfig rawdevices on
The first 3 steps would create the raw devices. The remaining steps made sure they would return after a reboot.
Under 5 I've found out that I'm only supposed to use udev and add the line
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="/dev/sdc1", RUN+="raw /dev/raw/raw1 %N"
to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-raw.rules and thats it.
There is no mention of the permissions.d dir or anything else.
after a reboot my /dev/raw dir goes away and does not return. What am I missing
Thomas L. Gossard