LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Joaquin
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 56

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Sendmail warning


Hello,

I configured everything for my GMAIL account to send mail using sendmail.

But I get the following warning:

Code:
WARNING: local host name (netcool) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
my /etc/hosts file has the following lines of code:

Code:
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
172.27.1.20 	netcool
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain
::1		localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
I have read several guides on how to configure sendmail, thinking that I had been wrong but all the ones I have read confirm that my configuration is correct.

Someone would know help me?
 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,464
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post
Code:
WARNING: local host name (netcool) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
A domain name has at least one dot in it like "gov.cn": the name and the TLD. A host is then part of that domain so it contains at least two dots like "mx.mail.gov.cn". That's what you would call a fully qualified domain name, or FQDN for short. Additionally the name needs to be resolvable across the 'net (meaning not using a private LAN range address) so that the remote mail server (MTA) your MTA contacts knows who it speaks to. You could use the external IP address your ISP leases / gives you as long as you're aware of lease time changes. Additionally MTAs in domestic / SOHO IP ranges best use their ISPs MTA as smarthost to avoid ending up in RBLs (Real Time Black Hole spam Lists).
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Joaquin
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 56

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
A domain name has at least one dot in it like "gov.cn": the name and the TLD. A host is then part of that domain so it contains at least two dots like "mx.mail.gov.cn". That's what you would call a fully qualified domain name, or FQDN for short. Additionally the name needs to be resolvable across the 'net (meaning not using a private LAN range address) so that the remote mail server (MTA) your MTA contacts knows who it speaks to. You could use the external IP address your ISP leases / gives you as long as you're aware of lease time changes. Additionally MTAs in domestic / SOHO IP ranges best use their ISPs MTA as smarthost to avoid ending up in RBLs (Real Time Black Hole spam Lists).

Ok. What should I do to fix it?
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,464
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
To start with read my post again. I suggested you could use the external IP address your ISP leases you as long as you're aware of lease time changes.
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Joaquin
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2012
Posts: 56

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn View Post
To start with read my post again. I suggested you could use the external IP address your ISP leases you as long as you're aware of lease time changes.
No, you can not use the IP address of your ISP changes dynamically.
 
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,464
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899Reputation: 2899
Well then just amend your host name: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...alhost-889403/
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sendmail 4 hour warning message revolv Linux - Software 3 08-17-2012 10:18 AM
Sendmail config error: warning program unsafe Mariognarly Linux - Software 0 08-26-2008 04:10 PM
sendmail Authentication-Warning and spam chaitrahb Linux - General 1 02-03-2005 03:01 PM
Warning: File 'sendmail.cf' has modification time in the future G-Rad Linux - Newbie 0 03-06-2004 11:09 PM
Sendmail warning visu Linux - Software 2 01-12-2004 05:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration