LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Red Hat (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/)
-   -   root login is disable only on GUI (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/root-login-is-disable-only-on-gui-772849/)

bharatlalgupta 12-02-2009 12:56 AM

root login is disable only on GUI
 
hello dear all
i have a machine RHEL 5.3 in that machine root user directly login on tty1-6 but when try to login on GUI it get a message "Root login is disable" so what reason ????????

ronlau9 12-02-2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatlalgupta (Post 3776580)
hello dear all
i have a machine RHEL 5.3 in that machine root user directly login on tty1-6 but when try to login on GUI it get a message "Root login is disable" so what reason ????????

Login as root in the GUI is a very bad idea .
And is disabled in many distros
Which tasak could you not perform in the terminal as su or sudo ?

sirlancealot 12-02-2009 01:21 AM

I've run into this problem as well with ubuntu machines, never actually tried to solve it, but some people were suggesting it was the login manager that controls whether root can login or not. (and generally some option that you just have to set to "true" or "false" in the login manager's config file).

ronlau9 12-02-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirlancealot (Post 3776590)
I've run into this problem as well with ubuntu machines, never actually tried to solve it, but some people were suggesting it was the login manager that controls whether root can login or not. (and generally some option that you just have to set to "true" or "false" in the login manager's config file).

More ore less they are correct that depending on the GUI you use that it is possible to enable the root login
And in fact it is quit simple.
For a start you need to use GNOME
But still it is a very bad idea to do so.

bharatlalgupta 12-03-2009 01:39 AM

hello friend
i understand this is bad so but
how to resolve it

ronlau9 12-03-2009 02:03 AM

If you determine nano /etc/pam.d/gdm
The line is So user =root quiet make it a remark

evo2 12-03-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatlalgupta (Post 3778006)
i understand this is bad so but

Ok, if you say so.

Quote:

how to resolve it
As stated by others, log in as a normal user then su to root.

If you really insist on logging into X as root...
You didn't say, but I guess you are using gdm. In the gdm conf file
which could be something like /etc/gdm/gdm.conf you need to replace

Code:

AllowRoot=false
with
Code:

AllowRoot=true
Enjoy putting your system at risk.

Cheers,

Evo2.

bharatlalgupta 12-21-2009 12:58 AM

sorry friend
your gdm configuration file is not exist i'm using GNOME......
ok plz tell me another way to login here..

evo2 12-21-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatlalgupta (Post 3799502)
sorry friend
your gdm configuration file is not exist i'm using GNOME......

Well, find where where you system has the gdm (Gnome Display Manager) config file. You're the one sitting at the machine. Not me.

Evo2.

bret 12-21-2009 04:50 PM

Check out your /etc/securetty file. This file determines which terminals (vc/1-vc/11 and tty1-tty11) are available for root to login with.

bharatlalgupta 12-22-2009 01:10 AM

yes friend this tty and vc are availabel


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.