LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
carlosinfl
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,896

Rep: Reputation: 73
RHEL 6 Network Install?


I noticed that RHEL 6 now has a network boot ISO which appears to be 222 MB. I downloaded this and attempted to install but when I am at the 'Installation Method' section, I don't know the URL to use. I contacted Red Hat and they advised me they don't host that on their site and that I would need to find a 3rd party mirror.

Anyone know how I can get a list of URL's that are hosting 'netinst' for RHEL 6 (64-bit)?
 
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,485

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinfl View Post
I noticed that RHEL 6 now has a network boot ISO which appears to be 222 MB. I downloaded this and attempted to install but when I am at the 'Installation Method' section, I don't know the URL to use. I contacted Red Hat and they advised me they don't host that on their site and that I would need to find a 3rd party mirror.

Anyone know how I can get a list of URL's that are hosting 'netinst' for RHEL 6 (64-bit)?
You download the ISO, burn it to a CD, and go from there. The "network" part of the installation occurs when you add/configure services, which are then pulled down from elsewhere.

A real network-boot option is from a PXE boot server, where you can host the full-blow ISO's, but I doubt you'll find any Internet-accessible PXE servers, mainly because of the huge amount of bandwidth they'd need, and the agonizing speed of doing an install over the Internet. That's something you'd set up on your local network.
 
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
carlosinfl
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,896

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 73
No you mis-understood my post. The ISO is 222 MB's there for it has no packages installed. It's not a NFS or PXE boot option. It's identical to what CentOS did with their 'netinst' install but you need to point to a mirror so that the installer can download all the packages straight from the web rather than having dated static packages on CD/DVD. I just don't see any mirrors to download from.

Here's a link of all available CentOS netinst mirrors:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinyco...ndex.php?id=30

Last edited by carlosinfl; 11-11-2010 at 12:38 PM.
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
shachter
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 0
Has no one answered your question?

Hasn't anyone answered your question? I need to know the answer too.
I'm a RedHat-certified instructor and have permission to obtain RHEL,
but the computer on which I want to install RHEL only has a CD driver,
not a DVD driver; moreover, I only have a CD burner, I do not have a
DVD burner.

I knew (or, more precisely, had been told) that Fedora can be installed
using an initial installation image that will fit on a CD, followed by
a network phase where you get everything else remotely. I did not think
that RHEL provided the same option. But I prowled around https://redhat.com
looking for installation images for RHEL 6 that will fit on CD's. I found
https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/...d.do?cid=10401
as you apparently did, and, under "Older Releases", found the image that
calls itself a "Network Install and Recovery Disc", and copied it to CD,
but have made no further progress; when I boot from CD and select "Install",
I cannot proceed past the point where it asks me where I keep the installation
image.

I actually have a USB device that contains rhel-server-6.0-x86_64-dvd.iso
within a VFAT filesystem (not that I expected to be able to install from
the image of a 64-bit OS, but I was grasping at straws), but when I told
the installation procedure that the image was on a "Disk Device",
selected /dev/sdh1, and typed in "/" as the name of the directory
containing the image, the installation procedure simply told me that there
didn't seem to be an installation image in that directory.

At the moment I am downloading rhel-workstation-6.1-i386-dvd.iso (or, more
precisely, I think I am downloading it; my browser says that I have already
downloaded 2.4 MB of 3.6 GB but I do not see that any file has been created
in the directory to which I am supposed to be downloading it, and I doubt
that my browser has a buffer size of more than 2.4 MB) a procedure that my
browser says will be finished in 36 days. So, perhaps I will be able to
install RHEL 6 in 31 days, if the download is successful, and if my earlier
failure to install from my USB device was due solely to not having the 32-bit
version of the OS. Alas, I need RHEL in less than 36 days.

This has been a long question, but it can be succinctly summarized: How do I
install RHEL 6 on a computer that has a CD reader from which it can boot, but
not a DVD reader? Thank you in advance for your replies.
 
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,485

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by shachter View Post
Hasn't anyone answered your question? I need to know the answer too.
I'm a RedHat-certified instructor and have permission to obtain RHEL, but the computer on which I want to install RHEL only has a CD driver, not a DVD driver; moreover, I only have a CD burner, I do not have a DVD burner.

I knew (or, more precisely, had been told) that Fedora can be installed using an initial installation image that will fit on a CD, followed by a network phase where you get everything else remotely. I did not think that RHEL provided the same option. But I prowled around https://redhat.com looking for installation images for RHEL 6 that will fit on CD's. I found https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/...d.do?cid=10401 as you apparently did, and, under "Older Releases", found the image that calls itself a "Network Install and Recovery Disc", and copied it to CD, but have made no further progress; when I boot from CD and select "Install", I cannot proceed past the point where it asks me where I keep the installation image.
You're correct in that Fedora will do this. I'm not sure if RHEL6.1 network install is available yet...normally, you'd boot from the CD image, then point to an http/ftp/nfs server somewhere in your network, that has the ISO image. And since you're a RH instructor...isn't that one of the things they cover in the class??? And surely you have access to RedHat's support?
Quote:
I actually have a USB device that contains rhel-server-6.0-x86_64-dvd.iso within a VFAT filesystem (not that I expected to be able to install from the image of a 64-bit OS, but I was grasping at straws), but when I told the installation procedure that the image was on a "Disk Device", selected /dev/sdh1, and typed in "/" as the name of the directory containing the image, the installation procedure simply told me that there didn't seem to be an installation image in that directory.
Does it even FIND /dev/sdh1 at that point?? During the installation, would the vfat file system even be loaded in the kernel yet? Never tried that particular thing, but I'd be curious. I'd also just shove the ISO image onto a server somewhere on the network, and point the installer to it.
Quote:
At the moment I am downloading rhel-workstation-6.1-i386-dvd.iso (or, more precisely, I think I am downloading it; my browser says that I have already
downloaded 2.4 MB of 3.6 GB but I do not see that any file has been created in the directory to which I am supposed to be downloading it, and I doubt
that my browser has a buffer size of more than 2.4 MB) a procedure that my browser says will be finished in 36 days. So, perhaps I will be able to
install RHEL 6 in 31 days, if the download is successful, and if my earlier failure to install from my USB device was due solely to not having the 32-bit
version of the OS. Alas, I need RHEL in less than 36 days.
You do realize that your browser is probably creating a temp file somewhere, right?? And it will move that file to your selected download destination after it's complete. And you're using a download manager too, aren't you?
Quote:
This has been a long question, but it can be succinctly summarized: How do I install RHEL 6 on a computer that has a CD reader from which it can boot, but
not a DVD reader? Thank you in advance for your replies.
Do it over the network, as is well documented on the RHEL site. Put the ISO image onto a server running one of the many network services the installer can recognize, and do the installation. You could also spend $39 on an external, USB DVD drive, and do the installation easily. These options are usually covered in RedHat certification classes, aren't they?
 
Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
i-control
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
where can i get the 222mb boot.iso
any link please ...
 
Old 07-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,485

Rep: Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-control View Post
where can i get the 222mb boot.iso
any link please ...
Don't hijack someone else thread with your own question.

And if you want RedHat ISO's, try checking RedHat's website...that's where everyone else gets them.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
slu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, openSUSE
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: 0
You need to provide a remote server youself

I short you need to

1. download the complete RHEL6 installation dvd image
2. mount it on a server
3. use the boot.iso, select a appropriate installation method and point to the server from step 2

There's a HOWTO here: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/...k_Installation

/slu
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RHEL 5.x - prompting for network card during install g00ner Linux - Networking 3 03-12-2010 10:36 AM
How to Uninstall RHEL 3 and Install RHEL 9? Sankaranand D Linux - Software 1 07-13-2009 09:33 AM
Install dmidecode and procinfo in RHEL 4 - RHEL 3 rafanto Red Hat 11 06-23-2009 06:23 AM
Installed Fedora 9 over RHEL it overwrote RHEL. How to install both?? obe786 Linux - Newbie 2 01-29-2009 07:52 AM
how to install 3945ABG Network Connection on RHEL 5 y2raza Linux - Newbie 4 04-05-2008 03:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration