LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Red Hat (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/)
-   -   RHEL 5.4 not compatible with NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 ! (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/rhel-5-4-not-compatible-with-nvidia-geforce-go-7600-a-826238/)

Net4Hack 08-14-2010 02:19 PM

RHEL 5.4 not compatible with NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600 !
 
I am trying for Redhat certification on RHEL 5.4. When i tried to install it on my Acer laptop with NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600, I was only able to install it in CUI mode and no GUI. From NVIDIA website I tried both the newest and oldest version they have for Linux, which is with .run extension. I tried installing it using sh <drivername.run> and it is starting the wizard, but exiting abruptly, with a kernel error.

Any one have similar issues? Any idea how to work around on this issue? Any generic driver that would work for this display adaptor? Any idea whether version 5.5 would work with this card?

snowpine 08-14-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishindian (Post 4066337)
I am trying for Redhat certification

So, imagine you've passed the exam, and you are now a Red Hat Certified Engineer. A client has hired you to solve his problem with his Nvidia video card. What do you do?

Net4Hack 08-14-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowpine (Post 4066350)
So, imagine you've passed the exam, and you are now a Red Hat Certified Engineer. A client has hired you to solve his problem with his Nvidia video card. What do you do?

First let me install the OS correctly, study it and pass the exam!

Anyway just to answer your question, incompatible hardware, that wud be my answer to the client!

DrLove73 08-14-2010 04:13 PM

Uninstall all tried drivers for nvidia cards and install driver from ELRepo repository.

And you just might be wrong to say it like that and most likely be wrong.

Net4Hack 08-14-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLove73 (Post 4066417)
Uninstall all tried drivers for nvidia cards and install driver from ELRepo repository.

Thanks DrLove73,
ButI couldnt find the supported driver for 7600 series in any of the following "Packages"

nvidia-x11-drv
nvidia-x11-drv-96xx
nvidia-x11-drv-173xx

Any suggestion?

TB0ne 08-14-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishindian (Post 4066415)
First let me install the OS correctly, study it and pass the exam!

You said you could install via text mode. So that gets the OS installed correctly.
Quote:

Anyway just to answer your question, incompatible hardware, that wud be my answer to the client!
Spell out your words. And if you WOULD say that to a client, you'd be clearly wrong, and probably not invited back.

First, the video card can be installed and used by using the built-in VESA or VGA drivers. That will get you going in a GUI mode...which is NOT needed or recommended for a server. Second, you could install the kernel-source, and when the nVidia driver installs, it'll build the correct version for your running kernel.

DrLove73 08-15-2010 05:29 AM

This: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread220864.html comfirms (along with nVidia download page) that Go 7600 should be supported on at least 180.xx version of the driver, most likely in
Quote:

nvidia-x11-drv-256.44-1.el5.elrepo
(nvidia-x11-drv). Until you try you can not be sure (you wrote you could not FIND support, not that you tried to installed it and it did not recognize it).

knudfl 08-15-2010 05:39 AM

# yum install kernel-devel

.. is what it takes to build nvidia on RH EL.
( + of course gcc , make.)
..

Net4Hack 08-15-2010 10:05 AM

Solved the problem. You could use the vesa generic driver. For any one facing similar trouble, instructions follows.

"vesa" driver is generic driver and works fine with all Graphics Cards.
Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, mount / partition of RHEL or boot up in command line mode and create xorg.conf file manually.

1. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

2. Edit the existing code and paste the following lines in to the file.
-------------------------
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 31.5 - 70.0
VertRefresh 50 - 160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
EndSubsection
EndSection
-----------------------
Save file and reboot machine.
If your runlevel is 3 change it to 5, to get GUI every time you boot

TB0ne 08-15-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishindian (Post 4066836)
Solved the problem. You could use the vesa generic driver. For any one facing similar trouble, instructions follows.

"vesa" driver is generic driver and works fine with all Graphics Cards.
Boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, mount / partition of RHEL or boot up in command line mode and create xorg.conf file manually.

Really?!?!? Almost like I told you in my first reply?

Net4Hack 08-15-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB0ne (Post 4066961)
Really?!?!? Almost like I told you in my first reply?



A smart idiot is better than a stupid genius ...


Samuel Goldwyn



TB0ne 08-15-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishindian (Post 4066989)

A smart idiot is better than a stupid genius ...
Samuel Goldwyn

...says the person who couldn't read the directions on the nVidia installer.

Insulting folks here isn't a good way for you to get any further help from ANYONE. Do you really expect anyone here to put effort into helping you, when you don't read the information that's given to you, or even acknowledge it?

DrLove73 08-15-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishindian (Post 4066989)

A smart idiot is better than a stupid genius ...
Samuel Goldwyn


Actually, he wrote:
Quote:

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day
At least it is consistent with your reading disability.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.