Originally Posted by danib1
i have installed Redhat 6 , i am trying to compile the kernel. i found some instruction over the net but rpm packages were build.
can anyone post an HOWTO compile the kernel on RedHat 6
It's reasonably easy.
- Grab the src rpm from red hat ftp site (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...r/en/os/SRPMS/)
- install said rpm with rpm -i kernel-2.6.32-71.18.2.el6.src.rpm. (assuming you get the lastest) This will create an rpmbuild directory on your user's home (I think, I've only tried it there)
- Go to rpmbuild/SPECS
- run rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec
- Go to rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel version/kernel version
- Run make config or make menuconfig (you can run a x version of this make xconfig (KDE) or make gconfig (GNOME))
- run make rpm
As misconfiguration pointed out, you already have a kernel so there is no need to do this.
The crucial step, I guess, is make menuconfig, as this allows you to customize the kernel.
Bear in mind that the compilation is quite time consuming and will use a few GB (4-5 GB)