Originally Posted by martinpeter
Do I have to purchase redhat before any such installation?? When i first looked at the error the same thing comes in my mind as well. but while searching i've come through this thread yum update is not working
It's not a problem to register your system after installation...call Red Hat, and they can help you.
and thought that it could be solved without registering my system. Is that not possible??
Possible? Yes. A good idea? No. You're using RHEL...unless you pay for it
, you will NOT get updates/patches/bugfixes/security updates, and will be left with an insecure, out-of-date system. If you DO manage to use a third-party repository, there is NO GUARANTEE that that software will be 100% certified to work correctly with RHEL
. It *MIGHT*...and it might not. Might work 98% of the time, and introduce hard-to-fix problems the other 2%.
So...pay for RHEL, or use CentOS for free.