LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
ciphyre
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Distribution: FEDORA, RHEL, SLES
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Openldap configuration on RHEL


Does anyone know of any good howto's for installing and configuring openldap on RHEL, or specifically RHEL4? I'm an ldap newbie....

I installed the openldap RPM that comes on the RHEL4 CD however I am not confident my configuration is correct and ldap doesn't want to start. I have configured it to spit out more logging info but I don't know how to decipher most of what I am seeing. I have some reference material, but nothing specific to RHEL so I am flying a little blind.

Thanks.

Last edited by ciphyre; 09-18-2008 at 10:37 AM.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,233

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphyre View Post
Does anyone know of any good howto's for installing and configuring openldap on RHEL, or specifically RHEL4? I'm an ldap newbie....

I installed the openldap RPM that comes on the RHEL4 CD however I am not confident my configuration is correct and ldap doesn't want to start. I have configured it to spit out more logging info but I don't know how to decipher most of what I am seeing. I have some reference material, but nothing specific to RHEL so I am flying a little blind.

Thanks.
These might help you:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/
http://www.grennan.com/ldap-HOWTO.html

The second one has some info pertaining to RedHat, but both should be good starts. Be sure to shove in a decent LDAP management tool, if you don't already have one.

http://lam.sourceforge.net/
http://luma.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ldapadmintool.com/

There is one that works over your web browser, http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpldapadmin/, which makes it easier. Can do it from any browser, without the need for a 'fat' client installed on a particular workstation.
 
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
ciphyre
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Distribution: FEDORA, RHEL, SLES
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
These might help you:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/
http://www.grennan.com/ldap-HOWTO.html

The second one has some info pertaining to RedHat, but both should be good starts. Be sure to shove in a decent LDAP management tool, if you don't already have one.

http://lam.sourceforge.net/
http://luma.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ldapadmintool.com/

There is one that works over your web browser, http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpldapadmin/, which makes it easier. Can do it from any browser, without the need for a 'fat' client installed on a particular workstation.
Thanks for the links, they are very helpful. My configuration seems to be correct, however when I start slapd I don't get control of the shell back:

/sbin/service ldap start
Checking configuration files for : config file testing succeeded
Starting slapd: [ OK ]

The process is running:

root 15610 15598 0 11:23 pts/4 00:00:00 initlog -q -c /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h ldap:/// -d 5
ldap 15611 15610 0 11:23 pts/4 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h ldap:/// -d 5

As expected, closing the shell kills the process.

The log out looks like this:

Sep 18 11:02:52 Hostname slapd[15337]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.13 (Apr 24 2006 23:00:46) $ root@hs20-bc1-3.build.redhat.com:/usr/src/build/738770-i386/BUILD/openldap-2.2.13/openldap-2.2.13/build-servers/servers/slapd
Sep 18 11:02:52 Hostname slapd[15337]: daemon: IPv6 socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: slapd starting

Looks like slpd is not fully started?

Any suggestions?
 
Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 14,233

Rep: Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474Reputation: 2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphyre View Post
Thanks for the links, they are very helpful. My configuration seems to be correct, however when I start slapd I don't get control of the shell back:

/sbin/service ldap start
Checking configuration files for : config file testing succeeded
Starting slapd: [ OK ]

The process is running:

root 15610 15598 0 11:23 pts/4 00:00:00 initlog -q -c /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h ldap:/// -d 5
ldap 15611 15610 0 11:23 pts/4 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/slapd -u ldap -h ldap:/// -d 5

As expected, closing the shell kills the process.

The log out looks like this:

Sep 18 11:02:52 Hostname slapd[15337]: @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.2.13 (Apr 24 2006 23:00:46) $ root@hs20-bc1-3.build.redhat.com:/usr/src/build/738770-i386/BUILD/openldap-2.2.13/openldap-2.2.13/build-servers/servers/slapd
Sep 18 11:02:52 Hostname slapd[15337]: daemon: IPv6 socket() failed errno=97 (Address family not supported by protocol)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
Sep 18 11:02:53 Hostname slapd[15337]: slapd starting

Looks like slpd is not fully started?

Any suggestions?
Hmm...are things working as long as you DON'T kill the shell? If so, you can try to do a "nohup /sbin/service ldap start 2>&1&", which will create another process, letting you close the shell without killing what you just started.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solaris 10 with DSEE 6.2 as ldap server and RHEL 5.1 as Openldap client al.lmco Linux - Newbie 1 07-04-2008 05:28 AM
OpenLdap Installation and configuration. alokguptag Linux - Server 1 07-03-2008 09:23 AM
openldap configuration!!!!!!!1 callibbar Linux - Server 2 09-11-2007 10:24 PM
openldap configuration !!!!! nsampath Linux - Software 0 09-05-2007 04:14 AM
openldap configuration javier_ccs Linux - Software 6 07-04-2005 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration