LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Red Hat (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/)
-   -   Legal considerations in using RHEL 5x (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/red-hat-31/legal-considerations-in-using-rhel-5x-727569/)

the_gripmaster 05-21-2009 11:34 AM

Legal considerations in using RHEL 5x
 
I signed up for a Free 30-day evaluation subscription from Red Hat site and downloaded the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 version. My question is, is it legal to keep on using this product after the 30 days are over?

There is another version of RHEL, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform. How can I get this? Is it possible to download and use this version without any subscription at all?

Thanks in advance.

stormtracknole 05-21-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster (Post 3548314)
I signed up for a Free 30-day evaluation subscription from Red Hat site and downloaded the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 version. My question is, is it legal to keep on using this product after the 30 days are over?

There is another version of RHEL, Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform. How can I get this? Is it possible to download and use this version without any subscription at all?

Thanks in advance.

You can continue to use RHEL, however, you won't be able to get any more patches for it. Basically, you are paying for updates and support. If you are interested in downloading other versions, just request a trial for those specific versions.

You may also consider using CentOS which is a binary compatible version of RHEL which means it's RHEL without the logos. It's free. I've used them both and they are very solid. Hope this helps!

the_gripmaster 05-21-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormtracknole (Post 3548361)
...If you are interested in downloading other versions, just request a trial for those specific versions...

Where can I do this? When I try to register for a 30 day evaluation, it takes me to https://www.redhat.com/apps/webform....e_form&eid=871 where I can only download the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (up to 2 sockets) version. Where can I download the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform?

stormtracknole 05-21-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster (Post 3548382)
Where can I do this? When I try to register for a 30 day evaluation, it takes me to https://www.redhat.com/apps/webform....e_form&eid=871 where I can only download the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (up to 2 sockets) version. Where can I download the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform?

You will have to either email them or give them a call and request one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.