Originally Posted by RedHatCat
You guys got Xeons in your machines? From the scraps of info I've read it seems to be a problem with RH es 3 and Xeons.
To be more correct: with RHEL 3 and 800MHz Xeons
We are a hosting company and have several dozen dual Xeons running on RHEL 3 and have been using it since it came out. October last year our stock of Xeons 533 MHz was depleted and we where thinking about making the switch to 800 MHz machines.
The first server we replaced was one with about 300 domains on it and the very same day we started getting calls the machine was very slow. We imidiatly switched back to a 533 MHz and it all was back ok.
Then we started testing with different MoBo's with different chipsets (all Supermicro), got new BIOS updates from them, the works. On Xeon 533 MHz: no problem, on 800 MHz: big problem. We havent tested on higher MHz boards yet.
As a professional hosting company we cant afford to just test it under pressure (with clients on it reading a lot of files), so we bought up all the 533 Xeons we could find and now are waiting for RHEL 5 to be released.