LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
fgh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Unhappy a couple of years ago i bought rh 5.2 and then emigrated


a couple of years ago i bought rh 5.2 and then emigrated, well here we are finally getting on task, my first attempt to install rh on an 80 gig drive failed resulting failure was during hard drive setup whilst
setting up partitions after completing i've pressed okay to move on to
formating the partitions only to get the error message can't find swap partition.2 options were offered carry out 1 repartition drive 2 continue. option 1 returned an fdisk fatal error so i threw that drive in the corner and then proceeded with a 40 gig drive the result was ground hog day, three days later red hat is in the box the card board box so i ran kill disk and then proceeded to install ubunto which
wen't on no problem at all which is great but it's not red hat,
so why is it that ubunto can install a swap partition and red hat
can't because i would really like to get red hat working meanwhile i'll get back on to rectifying the 80 gig drive.
a final note prior to installing linux the drives were windows xp
but that should'nt have been a factor because the drives were being
reconfigured.

Last edited by fgh; 08-22-2008 at 12:14 PM.
 
Old 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Do you mean normal Red Hat, or Red Hat Enterprise because RHEL 5.2 was released this year and RH 5.2 is unsupported and has been for quite awhile
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
fgh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
a couple of years ago i bought rh 5.2 and then emigrated, well here we are finally getting on task, my first attempt to install rh on an 80 gig drive failed resulting failure was during hard drive setup whilst
setting up partitions after completing i've pressed okay to move on to
formating the partitions only to get the error message can't find swap partition.2 options were offered carry out 1 repartition drive 2 continue. option 1 returned an fdisk fatal error so i threw that drive in the corner and then proceeded with a 40 gig drive the result was ground hog day, three days later red hat is in the box the card board box so i ran kill disk and then proceeded to install ubunto which
wen't on no problem at all which is great but it's not red hat,
so why is it that ubunto can install a swap partition and red hat
can't because i would really like to get red hat working meanwhile i'll get back on to rectifying the 80 gig drive.
a final note prior to installing linux the drives were windows xp
but that should'nt have been a factor because the drives were being
reconfigured.
hi Aceofspades
thanks for taking the time to offer some input...
the blue box says its redhat 5.2 linux os (complete computing envirement in one box)
thats the wrong answere i suppose shall i just bin it and put it down to experience?
thanks again fgh
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
hi Aceofspades
thanks for taking the time to offer some input...
the blue box says its redhat 5.2 linux os (complete computing envirement in one box)
thats the wrong answere i suppose shall i just bin it and put it down to experience?
thanks again fgh
I'm guessing its normal Red Hat 5.2 which was released in 1998. The reason why it doesn't work because it doesn't support your hardware, its like installing windows 98
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
fgh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
hi Aceofspades
thanks for taking the time to offer some input...
the blue box says its redhat 5.2 linux os (complete computing envirement in one box)
thats the wrong answere i suppose shall i just bin it and put it down to experience?
thanks again fgh


hi once again,
Ive had windows 98 on the machine, when you say rh won't support the hardware are you implying in general or just that the drive is too large, ifso what size would this software accomodate? I hade intended to setup a data terminal server.
regards fgh
 
Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 171Reputation: 171
fgh

Centos is RHEL with the logos removed. It is free to download/update (unlike RHEL). The current version of RHEL/Centos is 5.2. Just download and burn the Centos disk. There have been a ton of advances in just the last couple of years in terms of supported hardware and ease of use. After running a current version I cannot imagine going back to the stone age (RH5.2).

I do not know how long RH5.2 has been without support but support for RH9 was dropped in 2003. When a verision hits EOl(end of life) there are no new updates for it of any kind. This means that the system is easily compromised.
 
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
fgh
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2008
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
hi once again,
Ive had windows 98 on the machine, when you say rh won't support the hardware are you implying in general or just that the drive is too large, ifso what size would this software accomodate? I hade intended to setup a data terminal server.
regards fgh
hi Lazlow
I know that this is an old os but my intention was to learn about
linux with a view to move away from windows,its time to move up from the comfort zone and into an envirement where the grey matter is required,
thank you for your input
kind regards fgh
 
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
lazlow
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,362

Rep: Reputation: 171Reputation: 171
But that is part of my point. RH5.2 has very little in common with Linux in its current state. How relevant is win3.11 to Vista?
 
Old 08-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
AceofSpades19
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Location: Chilliwack,BC.Canada
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 2,079

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow View Post
But that is part of my point. RH5.2 has very little in common with Linux in its current state. How relevant is win3.11 to Vista?
not to mention the security implications of running such an outdated os
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I post answers, then realize the question was asked years ago! ShellyCat General 4 08-10-2007 03:29 PM
Perhaps Stallman had broken TC 10 years ago hamtavs General 5 02-05-2007 03:37 PM
Returning Member, Last login 3 years ago... IzzieDee LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 2 10-03-2006 02:57 PM
Dial-up on RH9: worked two years ago alar Linux - Networking 2 04-30-2005 05:01 PM
Today's newbies to Linux vs. Five years ago (say) vharishankar General 40 03-23-2005 12:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration