ProgrammingThis forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Distribution: ElementaryOS Freya as main, every other ubuntu-based as testing
moving from 2.4.xx to 2.6.3...
Hi! I updated my mdk into 10, and installed it with kernel 2.6.3.
And now I'm feeling like an idiot. The problem is, that I have done a module in 2.4.xx and Now i decided to re-write it for 2.6.xx. The module I "rewrote" compiles without any problems, i get the correct .ko - file, but...
I get This when loading it:
"insmod: error inserting 'nodir-driver.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module"
and doing a dmesg shows the symbol is sys_call_table...
So, it seems to me that either:
a) I have no clue that what headers should I include when i want to modify system calls or
b) I have no idea what is the function to load the sys_call_table.
Could somebody who knows more about the subject look at my source and tell me what is wrong. This source only has a part of the entire program, but it doesn't work either...
I think that your real problem is that sys_call_table was an exported symbol in kernel 2.4 whereas it's not in kernel 2.6. So either you hack your kernel to export this symbol... But there's probably a reason if sys_call_table is not anymore an esport symbol in 2.6 release. Or you find the way they use to replace this feature.