LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Programming (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/)
-   -   Gambas Tutorial or Gambas alternative (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/gambas-tutorial-or-gambas-alternative-829832/)

3dmatrix 09-01-2010 08:07 PM

Gambas Tutorial or Gambas alternative
 
I am not a programmer but i find it interesting to automate simple things.
I use Ubuntu and have recently come across Gambas. I find it interesting and easy to use. But i have two doubts :

(1) Where do i get good tutorials for Gambas. Most of the ones available are too basic ones. I need ones with more description of codes. Are there good and 'active' forums for Gambas ?

(2) When I compile an executable in Gambas. it runs well in my system but when i try to run it inside a live cd on the same computer, it does not works. It either says no program is associated with that file type or gives some permission error. I removed the .gambas extension but it did not work. How can i make it universally executable on Linux, so that I could share it with my friends.

I just need a simple programing language that can make GUI executable for Linux and has lots of tutorials. Can any one suggest a good alternative to Gambas ! How is Mono ? Never tried it !

ghostdog74 09-01-2010 09:06 PM

You can use Python on Ubuntu. See my sig for Python tutorial. Look at the Python documentation site as well.

Sergei Steshenko 09-01-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4085436)
... How can i make it universally executable on Linux, so that I could share it with my friends.
...

You probably can't. Or, rather, you'll have to learn a lot more.

The point is that according the project site the interpreter uses dynamic libraries, and you can't ensure your friends' computers have all the needed libraries and their version are the needed ones as well.

So, if you want to distribute the executable, you'll need to learn how to distribute it with all the needed libraries.

3dmatrix 09-02-2010 12:15 AM

Ok fine, I will think of the distribution at the second stage.

First i need to know about a simple programming language that can make executables in Linux and the programs developed should have GUI interface. Can you kindly tell me if Python can do that ? Can we make the GUI interface in the developed program as we can do with Gambas ? And with the same ease ?

Is Mono a suitable alternative ? Or can we get better support and tuts for Gambas ? I would certainly like to use Python or any other language, provided it fulfills my requirement. I am not a programmer nor do i wish to be one. I just need to make simple gui programs for my use and if possible learn to distribute it, in case if my friends need it.

Sergei Steshenko 09-02-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4085606)
Ok fine, I will think of the distribution at the second stage.

First i need to know about a simple programming language that can make executables in Linux and the programs developed should have GUI interface. Can you kindly tell me if Python can do that ? Can we make the GUI interface in the developed program as we can do with Gambas ? And with the same ease ?

Is Mono a suitable alternative ? Or can we get better support and tuts for Gambas ? I would certainly like to use Python or any other language, provided it fulfills my requirement. I am not a programmer nor do i wish to be one. I just need to make simple gui programs for my use and if possible learn to distribute it, in case if my friends need it.

I prefer Perl, but Python, Ruby, Mono can be used too. The problem I've described is not Gambas-specific, you'll have it with any other language.

ghostdog74 09-02-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4085606)
First i need to know about a simple programming language that can make executables in Linux and the programs developed should have GUI interface. Can you kindly tell me if Python can do that ? Can we make the GUI interface in the developed program as we can do with Gambas ? And with the same ease ?

yes, and yes and yes and yes.

3dmatrix 09-02-2010 03:28 AM

ghostdog74 : can you tell me, in brief, the packages needed to compile python program with a gui interface and some very small tutorial (hello world type) on the web, that shows how to make a gui program. I would like to have a feel of it b4 i move on to Python !

Sergei Steshenko : I mentioned above, that distribution is secondary. Primary need is to select a programing language that fulfills my need. Who knows in future i might get so much hang of it that i may totally shift to programing.

There are so many interfaces on this link http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming but do not know which is the simplest and easiest. As i see in most of them the programing is to be done in CLI but the application developed is in GUI. But i need GUI for both - as in Gambas !

What is Visual Python and Tkinter ?

Sergei Steshenko 09-02-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4085744)
...
What is Visual Python and Tkinter ?

I am not a Python guy - I actually quite dislike the language.

ghostdog74 09-02-2010 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4085744)
ghostdog74 : can you tell me, in brief, the packages needed to compile python program with a gui interface and some very small tutorial (hello world type) on the web, that shows how to make a gui program. I would like to have a feel of it b4 i move on to Python !

py2exe, pyinstaller.
As for GUI developlement, you can search here for recommendations.

Quote:

What is Visual Python and Tkinter ?
Tkinter is a GUI module (de facto) for Python. You won't get drag and drop. You create your GUI through commands. Other GUI packages/interfaces you can try is PyQt and PyGTK. If you have heard of Visual Python or what ever it is, just download and play with it, its that simple.

3dmatrix 09-02-2010 10:44 AM

http://visualpython.org/ - i found it on one of my searches !
So it seems there is no drag and drop type interface for Python.

ghostdog74 09-02-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4086032)
[url]
So it seems there is no drag and drop type interface for Python.

yes, there is. It was many yrs ago i tried. I forgot the name though. Do a search on Python GUI drag and drop and see...

3dmatrix 09-03-2010 10:29 PM

I tried installing Pythoncard on Ubuntu but it does not works.
Any suggestion !

Sergei Steshenko 09-03-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4087544)
... Any suggestion !

To formulate exactly what the problems were.

3dmatrix 09-03-2010 11:59 PM

Spent half the day on it !
It gives strange problem !
Does not responds at times.
At times works if i do so as root.
at times says no such file . . . though the file is there.
the tut is for windows and so nothing in common with what i am using.
i still find Gambas much user friendly for a nub !
when there is not enough support available a nub is bound to lose interest.
installed boa constructor - it is even worse.

Sergei Steshenko 09-04-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dmatrix (Post 4087585)
Spent half the day on it !
It gives strange problem !
Does not responds at times.
At times works if i do so as root.
at times says no such file . . . though the file is there.
the tut is for windows and so nothing in common with what i am using.
i still find Gambas much user friendly for a nub !
when there is not enough support available a nub is bound to lose interest.
installed boa constructor - it is even worse.

So, continue with Gambas - what's the problem ?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.