LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Programming (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/)
-   -   Android Plugin for Eclipse IDE: No option for "Android Project" (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/programming-9/android-plugin-for-eclipse-ide-no-option-for-android-project-816169/)

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 01:18 PM

Android Plugin for Eclipse IDE: No option for "Android Project"
 
http://7oeyuq.bay.livefilestore.com/...ect.png?psid=1

And this is WITH the ADT Eclipse plugin installed.

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 04:21 PM

Still no help? Is there ANYONE who can help me get this corrected?

pixellany 06-24-2010 05:50 PM

Moving to Programming per OP request, BUT:

Kenny;
3 hours does not qualify as a significant delay at LQ. Please keep in mind the 2 magic words to get help here: "Please" and "Patience"---this thread appears to be missing both.....

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixellany (Post 4014086)
Moving to Programming per OP request, BUT:

Kenny;
3 hours does not qualify as a significant delay at LQ. Please keep in mind the 2 magic words to get help here: "Please" and "Patience"---this thread appears to be missing both.....

Sorry for demanding help. Please help me, other possible thread viewers, and, Pixellany: I am willing to be patient and no longer post replies to this thread for the sole purpose of bumping.

Sergei Steshenko 06-24-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014101)
...Please help me ...

In which programming language are you going to develop ?

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergei Steshenko (Post 4014121)
In which programming language are you going to develop ?

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...9/#post4013850

There is only one programming language that you can develop for Android in, and that's (compiled) Java. I already am learning the basics per these tutorials.

Sergei Steshenko 06-24-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014155)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...9/#post4013850

There is only one programming language that you can develop for Android in, and that's (compiled) Java. I already am learning the basics per these tutorials.

To develop in Java you do not need Eclipse - any text editor is quite sufficient; many have Java syntax coloration.

First show a working code of yours in Java.

crts 06-24-2010 08:00 PM

Hi,

did you
- install the sdk (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html) properly
- install the adt as described here (http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html)
- completed the hello world tutorial which explains how to use eclipse (http://developer.android.com/resourc...llo-world.html)
?

Also, which version of eclipse do you have? You need 3.4 or higher to use it for android development.

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergei Steshenko (Post 4014184)
To develop in Java you do not need Eclipse - any text editor is quite sufficient; many have Java syntax coloration.

First show a working code of yours in Java.

In order to use Android-specific Java functions, you NEED to use Eclipse, since the Android SDK depends on an Eclipse plugin. And for some reason, the plugin isn't working and Eclipse doesn't give me an option to point to the location of the SDK directory.

Sergei Steshenko 06-24-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014214)
In order to use Android-specific Java functions ...

Java is a more complex than "C" language; with your present understanding of "C" ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...module-816223/ ) it's too early for you to think about Java, and even earlier to think about Android-specific functions.

And you are wrong about development for Android only in Java:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html :

Code:

The NDK provides:

    * A set of tools and build files used to generate native code libraries from C and C++ sources

.

crts 06-24-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014214)
In order to use Android-specific Java functions, you NEED to use Eclipse, since the Android SDK depends on an Eclipse plugin. And for some reason, the plugin isn't working and Eclipse doesn't give me an option to point to the location of the SDK directory.

Hi,

read the links from my previous post. You don't HAVE to use eclipse but you are encouraged to, since it will make development a little bit more comfortable. You also don't HAVE to program in JAVA. You can also develop in c for android. However, it is commonly discouraged unless you really have some cpu consuming tasks to implement.
The standard for developing apps for android is java.

Kenny_Strawn 06-24-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crts (Post 4014249)
Hi,

read the links from my previous post. You don't HAVE to use eclipse but you are encouraged to, since it will make development a little bit more comfortable. You also don't HAVE to program in JAVA. You can also develop in c for android. However, it is commonly discouraged unless you really have some cpu consuming tasks to implement.
The standard for developing apps for android is java.

Yes, and the reason why I am using Eclipse is because I AM A NEWBIE to Java and, listen up:

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...damentals.html

Look in this article and you'll find that Android already defines most Java classes needed to create an application. All that's needed is calling upon those classes and functions to do the work. And even if I have to define a new class or function, I can use those other classes/functions as part of my definition. And the omission of functions like main() mean that there's no main entry point for an Android application. That's great; I can create an application that's less tedious to write because the compiler is not as picky. Just some of the many things that help make Android easier than standard Java. Couple this with Eclipse, with its interactive correction menus that give me a list of options for Eclipse to do for me like import Android-defined classes, define my own classes, or many other things in response to an error and it gets even easier.

Back on topic: Eclipse with Android did work under my old user account. I deleted the user account (but kept its files) and ported my old files over to it because Network Manager was acting up under it, but had to reinstall the Android Eclipse plugin. Upon reinstalling the Android plugin and restarting, that's when I couldn't find "Android Project" in the "New > Project" window, as you see in the screenshot.

crts 06-25-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014328)
Yes, and the reason why I am using Eclipse is because I AM A NEWBIE ...

Read my post again and understand what I am trying to say:
It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or not you are encouraged to use eclipse anyway. I was merely pointing out that this is not absolutely mandatory as you said in your previous post.
Quote:

Back on topic: Eclipse with Android did work under my old user account. I deleted the user account (but kept its files) and ported my old files over to it because Network Manager was acting up under it, but had to reinstall the Android Eclipse plugin. Upon reinstalling the Android plugin and restarting, that's when I couldn't find "Android Project" in the "New > Project" window, as you see in the screenshot.
Now this is some info you should have provided in your initial post. Have you tried fixing this by following the instructions provided in the links I posted or not?
It does not matter that eclipse was working because now apparently it is not. And that means that you have to completely reconfigure it. If that does not help uninstall, reinstall and then reconfigure it. It appears that you are not following any advice that has been given to you. Instead you keep posting that it does not work. Well, it sure won't fix itself.

Kenny_Strawn 06-25-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crts (Post 4014363)
Read my post again and understand what I am trying to say:
It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or not you are encouraged to use eclipse anyway. I was merely pointing out that this is not absolutely mandatory as you said in your previous post.

Now this is some info you should have provided in your initial post. Have you tried fixing this by following the instructions provided in the links I posted or not?
It does not matter that eclipse was working because now apparently it is not. And that means that you have to completely reconfigure it. If that does not help uninstall, reinstall and then reconfigure it. It appears that you are not following any advice that has been given to you. Instead you keep posting that it does not work. Well, it sure won't fix itself.

Those links I have already navigated to - before you posted them. Yes, I probably have to reconfigure Eclipse - and reinstall the SDK. I am reinstalling the SDK right now. After that, I will have to reinstall the Eclipse plugin that enables the Android-specific functions. Yes, I have followed the Hello World tutorial before, but will have to re-program HelloAndroid to show Sergei Stashenko just how easy Android programming is. The code the way I see it closely resembles Go code.

To me, code that has less obfuscation is easier to understand.

crts 06-25-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn (Post 4014959)
Those links I have already navigated to - before you posted them. Yes, I probably have to reconfigure Eclipse - and reinstall the SDK. I am reinstalling the SDK right now. After that, I will have to reinstall the Eclipse plugin that enables the Android-specific functions. Yes, I have followed the Hello World tutorial before, but will have to re-program HelloAndroid to show Sergei Stashenko just how easy Android programming is. The code the way I see it closely resembles Go code.

To me, code that has less obfuscation is easier to understand.

Hi,

having looked into some of your other posts in the meantime. It appears that you do not unserstand the basic principles of programming. That's OK, we all had to start at some point. However, from what I have seen so far, it appears that you are trying to learn a lot of languages at the same time. So far you tried to program in C/C++, JAVA and also in GO. It appears that you never took the time to learn one language properly. So my advice would be, pick a language that appeals to you and stick with it for a year or maybe even two. Then, after you feel comfortable programming with it, you can pick the next one to learn. You will then notice that you will learn the second one a lot faster then the first one.

However, I have a feeling that you already have been given such advice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.