Originally Posted by mogrady
I would appreciate it if someone would list a step by step process for installing the latest Firefox 3.0.7 upgrade. It downloads as a tar package and I always have trouble getting it to install,run, etc.
I assume you want to do this direct from the mozilla site rather than waiting for the Mepis package. Ok.
1. Download the tarball from Mozilla to a convenient locatation (I like /tmp)
2. Open a console, navigate to where you put the tarball and type the command:
tar jxvf [name of tarball]
Note that tarball ends in bz2 (b-zipped).
3. The unpacking process will create a folder with a zillion files (not really
) in /tmp The folder will probably be called something like "firefox"
4. Execute the command (still from the terminal)
sudo mv firefox /opt
5. Your new firefox installation is now located in /opt/firefox and to run it you can create an app link to /opt/firefox/firefox