MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi, I wondered if anyone else have had problems upgrading to 2005LE. I upgraded from 10 something - actually I'm not quite sure which but it wasn't a "community" version, but the more stable kind.
Now startup time is easily tripled, and there are big problems with KDE. It seems very few programs can run from KDE - no consoles, and even the su program can't be found by KDE, so I can't use drakconf.
First time I booted the startup of KDE hanged in an application called xfdb (i think). I looked it up in a manpage in a terminal and found that it was some sort of program to share x configuration across several machines, apparently. Since it hanged, I killed it...bad idea? Then KDE started properly, but with the aforementioned problems.
A lot of things look worse, too. I use big fonts (since i am a little nearsighted), and before the window decorations, buttons etc automatically grew to accommodate them. That doesn't seem to work anymore. And many fonts seem uglier, definitively some defaults have changed.
Well, at least the net configuration worked better on this upgrade, so I can come here and ask questions. But I really regret upgrading, and I wonder if anyone else have had similar problems?
I've added some sources to urpmi (those from easyurpmi) and am currently running an urpmi --auto-select in the hope that this will fix my problems.
Upgrading to a newer version can be tricky. Going from 10.0 to 10.2 requires some extra tweaking and 10.1 to 10.2 is less subtle. If you don't even know what version you upgraded from...might be best to just re-install because there is no way to help you with this. Unless this is just a general rant then I feel for you. I usually go by the old saying, if it isn't broke...don't mess with it.
Having said all that, 10.2 is a nice distro. 10.0 hits its end of life and 2006 should be released all next month. Been messing with 2006 the last few cooker releases and like what I'm seeing.
Yeah, I suppose it was a bad idea. Last time I upgraded everything went fine, but I suppose there's a certain difference between going from 10.0 community->10.0->official and going from 10.0 official->10.2 community. I reinstalled. Since I use preciously few programs that aren't in the standard distro (and I keep copies of all packages I've installed from source in my home directory) it didn't give me much trouble.
It's a LOT more slick, stable and reliable. Hard to believe it's technically the same thing I had on my machine yesterday.
If your system and home on on diffrent partitions, then it`s quite easy, simply upgrade, if it fails then just delete your .kde folder in home directory and do a fresh install, most of your settings, saved files are then left intact, and all you need to do then is re-install your programs via rpm.