MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
have searched ....plenty of dual boot info, but only found 1 thread similar but no answer.
I guess I should know this but.......
1. Plll with Wxp on hda
2. added second HD (hdb) and MDK10.0 loaded fine onto it. I was expecting to be given option during install for LILO bootloader, but it was put on hda (Wxp) by default, which is OK.
3. Now.... fairly certain Wxp is infected with nasty virus and would like to eliminate xp completely but can't at this time. Need to reinstall Wxp in same place (hda) but this will wipe out LILO boot loader and leave the hdb useless until I do. There are no important files on hdb at this time.
Since I was not given the choice where to install LILO during installation, am wondering how to get it back onto hda after reloading Wxp.
You can go ahead and install Windows XP first. This would most probably remove lilo(as you suspected) from MBR(I think this is what you meant by hda). You can then pop in the Mandrake 10.0 disk and choose "upgrade". You should later be presented with a window full of configuration options, here you can choose where you want to install lilo, but that may not be necessary as lilo(by default) installs in the MBR(which is where you previously had(??)).
I would suggest that, after you reinstall XP, let LILO write itself to hda. Otherwise, every time you boot, you need to select the boot device, hda for XP or hdb for Linux.
However: Are you sure you need to reinstall XP? I would try AVG for a possible virus. Spybot AND AdAware for possible malware. All these are freeware and do not take over your computer like Norton and MacAffee do. Only if these fail and you cannot get manual removal instructions should you go for a reinstall, otherwise plan for weekly reinstalls
with XP that would no longer start after a Mandrake install... but as I could not see why this should pose a problem I played around with this a bit (I happen to be using 10.1) and actually got a working system with 10.1 installed on the first couple partitions, and XP AFTER that on like the third partition all of the same drive.
I realize that there are probably different versions of XP pro around that may have changed how this works (I purchased mine a few years back), however this is what I got to work. The difficulty seems to arise when unknown OS touches the MBR that XP has written itself. It seems to have some means of detecting when this has taken place and assumes that that means there is a problem.
There are a couple of things I had to do, and I am not 100% sure of which ones were ABSOLUTELY necessary, however I did get this to work (in fact I am posting with said XP installation). First of all, I installed XP on a drive that was completely WIPED of all NTFS/FAT32 partitions. Whenever the XP install program found one of those on my drive, especially one that had an XP installation on it previously, it handled some of the rest of the installation differently (like, in a way that was LESS likely to work with my other OS). And I used a THIRD party program (My mandrake disk) to wipe these partitions. NOT the XP install disc.
Then I started the XP install disc and created a 4GB FAT32 part, and a 2GB FAT32 part, and installed to the 4 gigger. However, *** and I think this is the important part ***, BEFORE the install completed (it reboots after all of the files are copied, then installs), I ejected the XP disc and REINSTALLED LILO (or whatever bootloader) BEFORE XP finishes installing. For some reason, it seems as though if you put the LILO (or whatever) back into the MBR BEFORE the installation finishes, XP does NOT detect that something that it did has been tampered with.
After I verified that my Mandrake was still functional, I used LILO to boot back into my XP installation, and allowed that to finish. I know that this doesn't seem very practical, but this is the only way that I could get this to work
How stable this is going to be in the long run I am not sure of, and I would not really recommend doing this unless you are willing to copy all your important files off of a crashed system in case of disaster
You can then pop in the Mandrake 10.0 disk and choose "upgrade".
A better way would be to just pop in the Mandrake 10 disk and boot into rescue mode. On the text menu that pops up there is a convenient option to 'restore boot loader', saves having to through the install process again.