problems with wpa_supplicant
I'm running Mandriva 2006 on a desktop machine with the Madwifi drivers and a Netgear wg311t card. I had almost the EXACT same problem that CragStar had in this thread:
Likewise I found a newer version of wpa_supplicant amongst the cooker rpms (version 5.0 though, not 4.5), and after installing THAT I can now connect to my router using wpa_supplicant (passing all the appropriate parameters) at the command prompt.
This hasn't completely solved my problem however. Even though I can now connect, the connection periodically drops (usually after a couple hours) and the ONLY way to reconnect it is to go to command line and execute the above command again. Trying to connect through the gui (right click the taskbar icon, manage wireless networks, and click the connect button) does nothing. The machine will also not automatically connect when booting, I have to go to the command prompt then as well.
Without using WPA encryption, the machine connects just fine all without intervention from me and the connection stays stable for days.
Anyone had a similar experience? /var/log/messages and dmesg aren't really telling me anything useful. Any suggestions as to where else I can look?
no one? :(
Ok, made some progress. I changed my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 by adding the following line:
Now when I boot (or if i do /etc/init.d/network restart) I'm connected :D
Problem is, when the connection drops a few hours later, restarting the network doesn't work. When I check the ifcgf-ath0 file, I find that its been CHANGED and that new line removed! :scratch:
How do I make that change permanent?
Never did figure out the mysterious changing ifcgf-ath0 file, but it never did it again. I resolved the remainder of my wpa_supplicant problems (dropped connections, random reconnect to nieghbor's wifi, etc) by removing wpa_supplicant. :) Setup my connection with wep, and its been solid for 2 days. Having the extra security of wpa would have been nice, but life's just too short.
I was having similar problems. Check your logs for something like this:
Jan 29 11:42:23 vegemite ifplugd(ath0): Link beat lost.
Jan 29 11:42:29 vegemite ifplugd(ath0): Executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action ath0 down'.
Jan 29 11:42:29 vegemite dhclient: receive_packet failed on ath0: Network is down
Jan 29 11:42:29 vegemite ifplugd(ath0): Program executed successfully.
If you see this, edit your ifcfg-ath0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and make sure you have this set:
After that, kill any instance of ifplugd ath0 (ps -ef | grep ifplugd), run /etc/init.d/network stop and then /etc/init.d/network start and that seems to fix the problem.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.|