I had the same problem and would re-install from scratch just to get the same thing. I switched to Gentoo, which was a lot of fun
, and had a similiar problem until I rebuilt the kernel. It may be related, I'm not sure. My Gentoo had the wrong chipset for the IDE controller. It was set up as Intel when it was really Nforce2. Been running fine ever since though.
As for logs, you might want to check the logs in Mandrake Control Center. Click on system and then LogDrake. Leave the search field blank but check the kernel and I think it is syslog then click search bar. This may take a while. It takes a while even on this rig, listed below. Depends on how big the file is. It keeps a months worth by default. You can select only the current day if you want a quicker response.
Post back if you find something out of place or strange. You may want to fill in "fail" for the search string.