LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
mandrivaFan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Posts: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
newest mandriva version that support Gnome


Hi,
I have installed Mandriva Linux 2011 power pack, but after that realized that it does not support Gnome, so I want to downgrade to the newest version that does support Gnome.
My question is which version support Gnome in addition to KDE, is it 2010.2,2010.1 or 2010? and what do you think about 2012 tech preview? is it stable? does it support Gnome? is it a good idea to try it?

I have Intel i7 64bit machine.

Thanks,
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
jkerr82508
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 251

Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrivaFan View Post
Hi,
I have installed Mandriva Linux 2011 power pack, but after that realized that it does not support Gnome, so I want to downgrade to the newest version that does support Gnome.
Gnome is included in Mandriva 2011 and is supported by community volunteers. Mandriva 2010.2 is the last version for which Mandriva SA provided "official" support for Gnome. However 2010.2 reached EOL on 8th July.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/support/lifecycle/

Quote:
what do you think about 2012 tech preview? is it stable? does it support Gnome? is it a good idea to try it?
Gnome is available for "Mandriva" 2012, but like all of Mandriva 2012 (which may actually not be called Mandriva), support will be provided only by community volunteers. Mandriva SA will not provide Security updates for any releases following Mandriva 2011. Mandriva SA is now concentrating on its commercial products like MES.

An alpha of 2012 is now available, but, like any alpha release, it is intended for testing purposes only and is not recommended for regular use.

http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtop...858729#p858729

Jim

Last edited by jkerr82508; 09-17-2012 at 04:46 AM.
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
mandrivaFan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,
Thank you for your reply...
What do you mean that Gnome is included for 2011, how can I boot it ? it log into KDE automatically ?
I know that it is included - I choose to install it along the KDE- , but in the login page there is no option to choose between environments ?

Does the 2010.2 allow me to choose between environments ?

Thanks,
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
jkerr82508
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 251

Rep: Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrivaFan View Post
Hi,
Thank you for your reply...
What do you mean that Gnome is included for 2011, how can I boot it ? it log into KDE automatically ?
I know that it is included - I choose to install it along the KDE- , but in the login page there is no option to choose between environments ?

Does the 2010.2 allow me to choose between environments ?

Thanks,
http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtop...135723#p849802

Jim
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
mandrivaFan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,
I'll look on the link soon...
I also hate the appearance of KDE under 2011, it's ugly !
And I read that the Gnome 3 is also not beautiful .

Thanks,
 
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
rl5
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Beautiful Northern California
Distribution: Debian Wheezy x64 3.2.0-3-rt, Fuduntu 2012 testing, The Distro Formerly Known As Mandrake
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 18
As Jim's link suggests, if you want gnome you can simply install it from the Mandriva repositories. KDE and gnome can be installed on your system at the same time but you will need to configure a display manager to start one or the other.

Or I suppose you could configure your system to start up with the command line, then you could login and start either KDE or gnome. There may even be an app that lets you select per session which one to start.

For more help you might also check out the Mandriva forums at http://forum.mandriva.com/.

Good Luck.

Last edited by rl5; 09-19-2012 at 01:26 AM.
 
Old 09-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
mandrivaFan
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2012
Posts: 51

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
KDE and gnome can be installed on your system at the same time but you will need to configure a display manager to start one or the other.
Quote:
Or I suppose you could configure your system to start up with the command line, then you could login and start either KDE or gnome. There may even be an app that lets you select per session which one to start.
can you tell me how is that done step by step,I am not new to Linux, I use Mandriva (Mandrake) since 2005 , but I am not expert since I only use few applications such as gcc and emacs ...

Thanks
 
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
rl5
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Beautiful Northern California
Distribution: Debian Wheezy x64 3.2.0-3-rt, Fuduntu 2012 testing, The Distro Formerly Known As Mandrake
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrivaFan View Post
can you tell me how is that done step by step,I am not new to Linux, I use Mandriva (Mandrake) since 2005 , but I am not expert since I only use few applications such as gcc and emacs ...

Thanks
In Mandriva, go to Install and Remove Software, then search for and install task-gnome. That will install gnome.

You will need to reboot but before you do make sure that you have your login screen enabled (IOW, disable auto-login in Configure Your Desktop -> Login Screen -> Convenience).

After you reboot and get to the login screen, there should be a selection for "Session" somewhere on the login screen. Under Session, select either KDE or gnome.

But before you do any of that, I would suggest that you do a web search for Mandriva using both KDE and gnome or at least Mandriva gnome, to see if and what kind of issues others have run into using gnome on Mandriva.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Which Damnsmalllinux version has the newest ndiswrapper and wpasupplicant version? floppy_stuttgart DamnSmallLinux 3 10-06-2011 02:40 PM
Which LXDE version of Linux has the newest version of Firefox and Open Office? coolguy2008 Linux - Newbie 6 09-19-2010 01:04 PM
upgrading to newest version ryedunn Mandriva 14 06-08-2006 06:24 PM
newest version dstrbd1 Mandriva 3 03-09-2006 09:43 AM
Updating Gnome to the newest version Shadzilla Linux - Software 1 01-20-2004 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration