MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I originally started with installing Mandriva LE 2005. Somewhere along the way of doing URMPI updates the system started reporting that it had become Mandriva 2006. Since I had a few issues (minor) with 2005, when the opportunity came to actually upgrade (and eventually install) Mandriva 2006 Free I downloaded the iso's and did it.
That seemed OK except when I updated 2006 it killed my” drakconf”. I now can't use the Control Center at all. When I load “rpmdrake”, “drakconf” or even “edit-urpm-source” it takes an inordinate amount of time to request my root password and when the PW is entered the loading eventually times-out and the ap stops loading. All other applications load up s-l-o-w-l-y too.
I have tried removing and installing “drakconf” to no result. I could delete the whole partition and all the files again and it will probably work but as soon as I update this problem will recur (I've done it twice now). My root is on one partition and my home on another thus I don't have "problems" freshly installing the OS except setting preferences again.
If this point is covered in earlier forums please direct me there or give me the correct search phrases 'cause I ain't findn' it.
The only problem now is that my Firefox or Thunderbird won't start and even when I try to get to easyurpmi with Konqueror there is some nutty setting I can't find that makes it try to open the next window with Mozilla. It's very frustrating being a newbei! I haven't had this sort of difficulty since the old Windows 3.1 days!