LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Maverick1182
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: London
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 277

Rep: Reputation: 30
Mandriva 2006 DVD ISO


Simple question, but i can only find files sturctures from the mandriva page. Have tried a search on the forum, googled and no luck. Can find 10.1 and 2005LE ISos but not the all important new 2006 version.

Does anyone know where i might find this? I'm itchin to join the 2006 possy!
 
Old 10-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Kramer
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere south of sanity...
Distribution: Mandrake 9.1
Posts: 550

Rep: Reputation: 30
As far as I know, ISO's arent out yet. Dont bother to update though, there is lots of broken stuff in 2006, at least in my findings.
 
Old 10-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Maverick1182
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: London
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 277

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
I found an ISO for the DVD on bittorrent. Will try it out and see if i'm unimpressed. Can always wipe the partitions if it is.

Even the official release is buggy? i've waited for so long!

is it worth getting Suse 10 instead?
 
Old 10-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Kramer
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere south of sanity...
Distribution: Mandrake 9.1
Posts: 550

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick1182
I found an ISO for the DVD on bittorrent. Will try it out and see if i'm unimpressed. Can always wipe the partitions if it is.

Even the official release is buggy? i've waited for so long!

is it worth getting Suse 10 instead?
I dont know, I tend to work through the bugs. Just solved one right now. Suse 10 is a tough call, but one youll have to make, Ive never used it.
 
Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
tkedwards
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 51
Mandriva 2006 has only been released to the club members so far, they'll release it to the public in a few weeks.

If you've got any kind of Mandriva 2006 that you didn't get through the club then its a beta so you can expect lots of bugs.
 
Old 10-14-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Micro420
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4
Posts: 2,986

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick1182
I found an ISO for the DVD on bittorrent. Will try it out and see if i'm unimpressed. Can always wipe the partitions if it is.

Even the official release is buggy? i've waited for so long!

is it worth getting Suse 10 instead?
I got the DVD via Bittorrent through the Mandriva club.

So far Mandriva 2006 has been working fine for me, but I do very basic stuff on it like web surfing and listen to music. So far, no bugs or anything.

As for SUSE 10, I would DEFINITELY give it a try. It's my main Linux distro and it works just as great as Mandriva. I like them both, but I like SUSE 10 a little better than Mandriva 2006. Suse 10 is available for download now at opensuse.org
 
Old 10-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
dominik81
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Germany
Distribution: Ubuntu 7.10
Posts: 54

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
If you've got any kind of Mandriva 2006 that you didn't get through the club then its a beta so you can expect lots of bugs.
Mandriva 2006 was released to the public yesterday. Except for the ISOs. But downloading the whole raw tree (12 GB) works fine as well as doing a network install. Choose "Download from public FTP mirrors" here to see the list of mirrors which already have mdk 2006.
 
Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 AM   #8
Maverick1182
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: London
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 277

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Thanks for the help guys/gals

Just out of curiousity, why arent the ISOs out at the same time as the file structures, is it because of marketing?


Micro420, what are the main differences you've noticed between SUSE 10 and mandriva 2006? they both have KDE 3.4.2 and install via RPM.....

I'm downloading SUSE 10 via torrent as we speak/type.

Last edited by Maverick1182; 10-14-2005 at 06:27 AM.
 
Old 10-14-2005, 11:33 PM   #9
tkedwards
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Munich, Germany
Distribution: Opensuse 11.2
Posts: 1,549

Rep: Reputation: 51
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, why arent the ISOs out at the same time as the file structures, is it because of marketing?
Yep, to encourage people to pay for the club they delay the public release for a few weeks after they release to the club.

Quote:
Micro420, what are the main differences you've noticed between SUSE 10 and mandriva 2006? they both have KDE 3.4.2 and install via RPM.....

I'm downloading SUSE 10 via torrent as we speak/type.
Suse 10 sounds interesting but is it like the cut down 'discovery' edition they used to have for free download as an ISO for the 9 series? Or is it the full distro?
 
Old 10-15-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
duffmckagan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Cent OS 6.4
Posts: 1,163

Rep: Reputation: 47
I guess it is a full distro.

But people around are saying that it has got some problems, and if one has SuSE 9.3, it is not worth upgrading.

The Open SuSE has only got the Open Source applications, whereas the other "Flavours" have all applications.

Moreover, if you pay, you get support.
 
Old 10-16-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
TigerLinux
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Distribution: Ubuntu 11.04
Posts: 1,731

Rep: Reputation: 30
Why the mandriva 2006 ISO image file is not available?
 
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #12
purelithium
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Distribution: Mandriva 2006.0
Posts: 390

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by tkedwards
Yep, to encourage people to pay for the club they delay the public release for a few weeks after they release to the club.
If you would have read this, ou would have known the answer to your question.


hmm... is it really such a pain for the younger generation to take time to actually read?
 
Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #13
Al_Khidr
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: I live everywhere, since I am one with the force.
Distribution: Mandrake 10.1
Posts: 26

Rep: Reputation: 15
Mandriva 2006

What's going on w/ Mandriva 2006. Apparently its just been released and isn't available to use. Only specific club members can use it. My club membership is the Aluminum Club Membership. The only reason I have that membership is because Mandriva is always coming out with a version of M. Linux. The members w/ Silver Membership and up has access to download the ISO for 2006. That isn't fair/. In other words, I paid the memebership to gain access to the ISOs, RPM, mirrors, and even bit torrents. Because my membership of a lower rank they want release to the Aluminum members. There terms, conditions, disclosures, and agreement doesn't mention that they would be doing such a thing. Well if anyone else encounter the same situation, please reply back what you did. Or better yet, is there a site or FTP site that I go to, to install Mandriva 2006. I appreciate any information I can get. How did anyone get Mandriva 2006. I am going everywhere to find 2006. And because my club memebership is Aluminum, I do not have the ability to download the ISOs. Please help me out. Thank you.



Al_Khidr,
 
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
purelithium
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Canada
Distribution: Mandriva 2006.0
Posts: 390

Rep: Reputation: 30
http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/ftp.php3

You won't find an ISO, but you'll find links to an FTP site that has the source tree on it.

Download the boot cd image in the images folder and make sure you have the address of a FTP site close to you

If you have a broadband connection, it'll take a while, but it will work.
 
Old 10-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #15
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73
Re: Mandriva 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_Khidr
What's going on w/ Mandriva 2006. Apparently its just been released and isn't available to use. Only specific club members can use it. My club membership is the Aluminum Club Membership. The only reason I have that membership is because Mandriva is always coming out with a version of M. Linux. The members w/ Silver Membership and up has access to download the ISO for 2006. That isn't fair/. In other words, I paid the memebership to gain access to the ISOs, RPM, mirrors, and even bit torrents. Because my membership of a lower rank they want release to the Aluminum members. There terms, conditions, disclosures, and agreement doesn't mention that they would be doing such a thing. Well if anyone else encounter the same situation, please reply back what you did. Or better yet, is there a site or FTP site that I go to, to install Mandriva 2006. I appreciate any information I can get. How did anyone get Mandriva 2006. I am going everywhere to find 2006. And because my club memebership is Aluminum, I do not have the ability to download the ISOs. Please help me out. Thank you.



Al_Khidr,
On the Mandriva Club website, it clearly states the differences between all membership levels and the perks you can expect to get. I have just seen this info, because I just signed up to the Club and was comparing the membership levels and their perks. Why not upgrade your membership to silver if you want the latest isos and other perks that go with it.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K3b failing to burn DVD ISO Mandriva dolphans1 Mandriva 22 10-21-2007 07:34 PM
Mandriva 10.1 or Mandriva 2006 RC1 ronlon Mandriva 17 04-17-2006 02:24 AM
mandriva 2006 iso public release date ??? varun_saa Mandriva 14 11-05-2005 12:42 PM
Question on the 2006 DVD ISO vinceo03 Mandriva 2 10-21-2005 04:56 PM
How to make a boot DVD for Mandriva 2006 Beta 2 ? lukiki Mandriva 1 08-23-2005 02:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration