MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Whenever I edit my DNS servers or something elso to do with my internet connection, Mandrake stops working. By that I mean that the next time I book, when I go into verbose mode it says "starting ppp0" and then an hour later it still says the same thing and there is no hard disk activity. I have running 10.1 PowerPack edition and I am willing to reinstall if it helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I know many frown on this as an easy out, but I would do an "upgrade" type install and see if that fixes it. If you choose "upgrade" rather than "install" you don't lose any settings or anything else; but often something that's gone awry with the system gets fixed in the process. I have done it so many dozens of times I wouldn't be able to estimate the number. I'd say that at least 70% of the time it fixes whatever was wrong.
You could also uninstall the pppoe software and reinstall that, but I'd be willing to bet it's not something wrong with the software package, but with some setting that affects its operation.
I have never had good luck configuring ADSL from within Mandrake, using the control panel functions, under any version I've used: 8.0, 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0, and now 10.1 OE.
In fact, with the 10.1 OE installation (either fresh or "upgrade") there's always an error message after the second step of the ADSL setup, and it sends you back to the previous step, after which the second step gets completed WITHOUT the error message. At least on my system.
And Mandrake (sorry, Mandriva) cannot seem ever to remember that it's an ADSL connection, but insists on seeing it as a LAN.
Sorry I kind of got off on a tangent there. I would seriously consider the upgrade reinstall, which only takes about thirty minutes at most, and may well get you going smoothly again--or for the first time.
If this problem were happening to me, I think I'd try uninstalling the pppoe client and reinstalling it and then configuring the connection using Mandrake's control panel and see if that fixed it. If not, I'd reinstall using the "upgrade" option.
I've had my boot process delayed by failure to open the ADSL connection before, but not by the pppoe part. So I can't speak from experience.
I'm no longer using Mandrake Linux, but I think I may know the answer to this problem, if I'm remembering correctly how I finally solved it.
As I recall, I somehow found out that the reason for the hangup was that the hostname was not in the format that pppoe and other programs/processes that need to know the hostname look for.
I'm 90% sure I fixed it this way:
The first line in file /etc/hosts read just "bodhisattva" (without the quotes) which is the name of my machine.
I changed it to a fully qualified (but dummy) domain name: "localhost.localdomain localhost bodhisattva" (again without the quotes, but with a space separating the elements as shown) and that solved my problem.
UNLESS there was one other file where I had to change the host name. It seems to me that under Mandrake Linux I had to change two files; I'm using Ubuntu now and only had to change the /etc/hosts file.
You can do a search in the /etc directory for the name of your machine and find out if there is another file used in startup that requires changing in the same way. By the way, the file /etc/hostname in this Ubuntu setup reads just "bodhisattva" (without quotes), and I'm pretty sure I just had that name in the /etc/hostname file under Mandrake also. I think, subject to correction, that the "hostname" file is only used for naming the machine locally, while the "hosts" file contains the version of the name--fully qualified--that's needed for network use.
Hope this helps or at least suggests a line of inquiry.