MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I just installed Mandrake 9.2 and i tried to install my usb adsl SpeedTouch i tough, it should be as simple as use the RPM and copy the microcode file (alcaudsl.sys) in \usr\share\speedtouch (like the assistant says)
The first time I starte with Mandrake I got my Speedtouch 330 working no problem. The second time I tried to get it installed (after dropping Windows and reformating my computers hard-drive) was a bit of a problem.
The only things I had to change in the settings wizard where to add my user name and password (connecting to BT/Yahoo broadband)
Of course mgmt.o had been copied into the correct place.
For some reason though the second time I couldn't connect for quite a long time - I think a few hours, then, after changing some configurations and changing them back again I got connected - I did notice I was having trouble connecting from a Windows PC (ie slower than normal) so my advice, if you think you have your settings correct, then be patient.
Actually, I ended up installing Mandrake a third time and *then* my internet connection worked ...
OK, so last night I installed 9.2, it totally trashed my whole system!
I ended up reformatting the hard drive, put XP back on cos I still need to use it, then tried my luck again with 9.2 and it worked straight away!!!!
When it came to the modem, I made a note of the Alcatel file it needed, could not remember where it was going to be read from so I put it in the system and system32 folders and on a floppy. It didn't work from the floppy but I kept telling it to look at the windows partition and It found it.
To get it working originally in 8.2 took me days. I left this message at mandrake expert;
There are two incompatable drivers for the Alcatel SpeedTouch ADSL USB modem. One, from Alcatel, uses pppoatm.so and has to be compiled into the kernel. The other one, from Benoit Papillault, doesn't. Reading more than one howto, I ended up trying to install both.
You need speedmgmt.tar.gz from