MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
There is less than 24 hours left to vote in the 2015 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards. Click here to go to the polls. Vote now and make sure your voice is heard!
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have been using a MA401 (Netgear) wireless card with Mandrake 9.1 without much trouble (drakconf configured the card fine and the network worked after I entered the encryption in the advanced settings).
BUT I'm SOL with Mandrake 9.2 (RC2). I even tried the manual way of loading the modules and then:
- ifconfig eth1 up (I have a built-in eth0 wired card)
- iwconfig eth1 mode Managed (this is how I had it before)
- iwconfig eth1 enc 90xxxxxx09 (my encryption key copied from my access point -- which is also Netgear MR814?)
- route add default gw 192.168.0.1
- ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.15 up
- dhcpcd eth1 simply goes into never-never land.
I still can't ping my router/wap (192.168.0.1). Any pointers would be MUCH appreciated.
NOTE: I did update drakconf and drakxtools to the latest from cooker as of today.
NOTE: The same card works just fine under Knoppix 3.3. All I had to do was boot the live CD and then click on configure network for eth1. It automagically queried DHCP server and activated the network perfectly!!
This is picked up just fine by MDK 9.2 (I used the drakconf tool and configured my network). The tool reported the network card fine.
I should perhaps elaborate a bit more...
- when I run drakconf, the tool picks up my card and installs the drivers (orinoco_cs)
- At the end of the configuration, my network connection is cylced and notice that my wifi card is assigned to eth1 (since eth0 is allocated to my built-in wired card)
- /sbin/ifconfig eth1 indicates that a valid dynamic IP is also assigned (192.168.0.50)
- /sbin/iwconfig shows my enctryption key (which I can set under the advanced user mode in above tool). Signal level is reported as -46dBm and noise level as -143 dBm.
I thinks these readings are sane.
HOWEVER, when I attempt a ping to my access point (192.168.0.1), I get the following errors:
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.0.50 icms_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
(this happens when I'm logged in as root as well)
My routing table looks like (the default line):
GW=192.168.0.1, Genmask=0.0.0.0, Flags=UG, Metric=0, Ref=0, Use=0, Iface=eth1
Waw! You hit the nail on its head!!
Here is the description of the solution for the benefit of everyone:
- following up on akaBeaVis' hint, I used drakSec to change my security level to 'poor' from 'standard'
- I also turned off firewalling by allowing 'Everything' in drakfirewall
- Then I restarted the network and everything worked fine (i.e. I could ping my Access Point just fine)
- Then out of curiousity, I put back my old settings by first setting security level back to 'Standard'. Ping continued to work!
- I also selected only 'ssh' in my firewall settings and ping continued to work!!
This is, in fact, the expected behaviour since 'standard' security level used to allow me to ping my AP in Mandrake 9.1
My guess is that that the above described toggling process probably set some security settings to the right value. I hope this is fixed in the final release. Any how, it is a minor hurdle and not a roadblock. I think I'll stick to the current snap-shot of cooker for now.
Thanks again for the hints/pointers.
PS: This message is being posted using my NA401 wifi card.