Finally...............I am watching the lovely blue bars as the 10.0 installer is WORKING.
After beating my head against the wall several times, I came up with this:
1. screw the SCSI CD drive - I stole an old Creative IDE drive from a dead machine destined for the dumpster.
2. Opened the server case, disconnected embedded SCSI B cable (was controlling my CD drive)
3. Pulled the power cable from the SCSI CD drive, and hooked it to the IDE.
4. Found an old IDE cable (not really long enough).
5. Got some old Windows NT books to support the drive
6. Booted to BIOS setup, disabled the embedded controller, and enabled the IDE drive.
7. Inserted the 10.0 disk 1 and rebooted.
I can't believe I spent two days trying to force this installer, when a five minute swap was the answer