Mandrake 10 custom kernel howto?
First, I must say that I am not new to compiling my own kernel. However, trying to compile a kernel on Mandrake 10 has left me feeling like a complete n00b.
Here are the steps I followed:
1. Installed the source for the current kernel with "urpmi kernel-source"
2. cd /usr/src/linux
3. make menuconfig
4. selected preemptible kernel to be built into the kernel
5. exited and saved the new config
7. make modules modules_install
8. make install
10. reboot, selecting the new custom kernel.
However, upon reboot, the system seems to think that half my hardware has been removed (mouse, cd-drive, etc) and most of the modules throw out errors as they are loaded.
What step(s) have I missed that is specific to compiling a kernel with Mandrake? I'm assuming that the .config that comes with the kernel-source package is the same one that was used to compile the kernel that is provided by the kernel package, so I doubt it is an issue with the actual kernel configuration.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.