MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
im running Mandrake 10.1 and cant seem to get internet connection sharing to work, i used the "Configure My Computer" program and it never works, it finishes but i never can access the internet or even ping the host computer, (btw the computer im trying to share with is WinXP if that helps any) any ideas what im doing wrong?
Your are not very generous with your information so I assume that the dail-up connection is made on your windows xp computer.
1) you have to get the DNS-server address and default gw from your windows computer; you can do that by typing the following command while you have an connection to the internet.
2) give the nic in your windows box the following address
192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 and the default gw found at 1)
3) give the nic of your linux box the following address
192.168.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0 default gw 192.168.0.1
try to make an internet connection if that fails
try to ping from both sides if you can see the other side, if you can ping the unix box but not the windows box run that "configure ..." program again if that fails give me the info what is happening where.
hey sorry, ill go more into depth, i want my dialup to be connected on my lin box and share the connection that way, pretty much i need to know how to set up IP Masqurading (sp?) i cant seem to find a decent HOWTO, ....hopefully thats all ya need to help me
Every major distribution has a grafic interface to make it easy to configure linux, but all distribution are not setup in the same way and i use fedora.
1) You must look for a function to configure your network to be able to create a dail up connection.
2) Mandrake has his own firewall you have to setup and activate.