LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
abhijeetnayak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 33

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to activate kde


hi,

Yesterday night, I have updated my kde from 3.4.2 to 3.5.3 . But when I reboot I am not able to boot to kde. Now I my mandriva 2006 is booting to some old window .

I have checked the kde version it shows 3.5.3.

pls help.
thank you.

Last edited by abhijeetnayak; 06-14-2006 at 11:43 PM.
 
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
Michael_S
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 78

Rep: Reputation: 23
At the console that it boots to, login as the root user (superuser) type
Code:
kdm
Hit enter, and if everything is set up correctly it will take you to a login screen. If it doesn't work, you should get some error messages you can copy and paste in a message to get help.

Setting it up to automatically start kdm is a little more complicated. I don't remember how to do it off hand, and you would be better off getting that advice from someone who uses Mandriva.
 
Old 06-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
abhijeetnayak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_S
At the console that it boots to, login as the root user (superuser) type
Code:
kdm
Hit enter, and if everything is set up correctly it will take you to a login screen. If it doesn't work, you should get some error messages you can copy and paste in a message to get help.

Setting it up to automatically start kdm is a little more complicated. I don't remember how to do it off hand, and you would be better off getting that advice from someone who uses Mandriva.
Thanks,

But command kdm is not working. If you find how to automatically start kdm, please post it here.

thanks,
abhijeet
 
Old 06-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
dexter11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Mandriva
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 30
What's the output of
Quote:
rpm -qa | grep kdm
 
Old 06-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
abhijeetnayak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter11
What's the output of
rpm -qa | grep kdm
No output.
Quote:
[abhijeet@localhost Desktop]$ rpm -qa | grep kdm
[abhijeet@localhost Desktop]$
next empty line is coming.
 
Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
dexter11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Mandriva
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 30
I think I read about this before. You should install kdm
Quote:
urpmi kdebase-kdm
 
Old 06-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
abhijeetnayak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter11
I think I read about this before. You should install kdm
thanks. I give the command, here is the output
Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi kdebase-kdm
Some package requested cannot be installed:
kdebase-kdm-3.5.3-6.1.20060.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libXdmcp.so.6)
Continue? (Y/n) y
[root@localhost Desktop]#
I have also tried "urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select" but with the same result.

It doesn't install anything.

pls give some solution.

Last edited by abhijeetnayak; 06-16-2006 at 09:46 PM.
 
Old 06-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
dexter11
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Mandriva
Posts: 197

Rep: Reputation: 30
What sources did you setup? The SoS in the kdm package name indicates you have Seer Of Souls setup in your software sources.
I can't remember which command lists the sources but if you type urpm and hit the TAB key that will list the possibilities.
You need main, contrib and update sources. If you don't have them or one of them go to smart-urpmi. Then try to install kdm again.
 
Old 06-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
abhijeetnayak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Posts: 33

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter11
What sources did you setup? The SoS in the kdm package name indicates you have Seer Of Souls setup in your software sources.
I can't remember which command lists the sources but if you type urpm and hit the TAB key that will list the possibilities.
You need main, contrib and update sources. If you don't have them or one of them go to smart-urpmi. Then try to install kdm again.
thanks dexter11.

I have solved the problem. I have added all the sites to my urpmi. but 'urpmi kdebase-kdm' did't work( same dependency problem). but 'urpmi kdm' work. It installed 27 files to solve the problem.

once again thanks.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help 3c501 and can not activate jayrich1207 Linux - Networking 1 05-12-2006 07:12 AM
how do I activate mousekeys paulwhalley Linux - Newbie 1 12-26-2005 11:56 PM
activate cgi basilogics Linux - Software 7 08-15-2005 04:54 PM
udma won't activate in 10.1 no dice Mandriva 0 10-27-2004 01:50 PM
how to activate addres book in Kmail (KDE) vinthund Linux - Software 0 02-24-2004 08:57 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration