MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I will agree with you there. Got a call from a friend this morning, lost his gui on Mandrake due to upgrading video card from radeon 7000 to 9600and can't figure out how to get driver installed. I would have thought it would have run on generic ati driver at boot, install ati driver by hand later, but I'll figure that out tomorrow. Anyway, point of that is he is the only person I've managed to convert to Linux. He also has a windows xp partition and it was easy for him to install video drivers on that himself. That is why I'm going to start a club membership, and hope more Mandrake junkies start to think the same way. At the speed Linux desktop has evolved over the past few years, I believe if the big distros have some dollars to stay afloat and direct towards development, I feel sure Linux will surpass M$ in all areas within a short time. Ease of configuration & hardware support is really the only hurdle left in my opinion. And I admit I see huge strides with every Mandrake release. Unfortunately, in the mean time a couple other local guys I know of that recently tried out Mandrake, went back to m$ due to wanting to point and click in wizards only, no reading manuals. Hopefully the Linux Standard Base (LSB) 2.0 related stuff will help that all come together soon. I've read that Mandrake is involved with it.
a) Your internet connection is not working
b) Your resolver is not working
c) You did not set up urpmi correctly
d) You did try to set it up correctly but the remote site you specified is unavailable, choose another
e) You did set it up correctly and the remote site WAS available, but it no longer is, or is too busy
f) You are lacking a package required by urpmi...
g) You were NOT logged in as root when you tried any and all of the above.
I will abandon this thread after this post. Seems I found my problem. Tonight I tried to use limewire rpm install and it did not work. Assumed kaffe was the problem, in the end it was not. To try to remedy, I uninstalled kaffe rpm, and the j2re-1.4.1_02 rpm. Using midnight commander i scanned through my whole root directory and found dozens of hidden (.java*) files. And four java folders from manual installs in directories other than /user/java. Deleted everything that had the word java from my hard drive. Added a MandrakeClub source to my sources, forget where I found the reference to it, anyway I had a j2re1.5.0 rpm appear. Installed that and absolutely everything works. Except for the LimeWire rpm in Jpackages not sure why. Grabbed Limewire.bin and installed manually and it works now. Jar files work, browser plugin, everything. Sweet. It appears this three day headache was caused by not getting manual installs completely removed I now assume.