123 steps to install Java plug-in for Linux and the browser registration.
Distribution used in this case is Mandrake 9.1 and Mozilla 1.5 browser.
First of all you will need to download the j2re-1_4_2_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin file from Sun official website http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
When you are done follow this steps:
1. Go to console and login as root, as usual type su and then your root password.
2. Go to the directory where you saved the Java plugin file.
3. # chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin [enter]
4. # ./j2re-1_4_2_02-linux-i586-rpm.bin [enter]
5. Accept the license agreement by scrolling all the way to the end of agreement, then type y and press enter.
6. # rpm -iv j2re-1_4_2_02-linux-i586.rpm [enter] this should install the Java on your system.
7. # cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.5/plugins [enter]
8. # ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so [enter] this should link the Java plugin to your Mozilla.
To check if the plugin is linked properly to your Mozilla just start your Mozilla (or if it was open close it first and open it again) and go to Help>About Plug-ins which will take you to plug-ins page and for Java plug in it should
say something like "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2-b28". I hope this was of some use.
Linux123 by RaiReg