MandrivaThis Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
There is less than 12 hours left to vote in the 2015 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards. Click here to go to the polls. Vote now and make sure your voice is heard!
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I am having an intermittent problem with data corruption as indicated by the md5sum changing for a file after copying it to another directory or other operations. I first noticed this after upgrading my system with an new motherboard, cpu and ram. The motherboard is a Soyo K7VMP2, the cpu is an AthlonXP 2800+ (Barton) and the memory is two PC2700 256M modules. The problem surfaced when building the Unichrome graphics drivers using the X source tree. I used ftp to obtain the matching xorg-x11 source SRPM from the mirror and installed it. Unzipping some of the .bz2 source files failed because of data corruption. Repeating the ftp and other operations ultimately resulted in a complete set of source files and I was able to successfully compile X without error and generate the 3-D drivers. But, the md5sum problem remains. When I upgraded the kernel from 220.127.116.11-24 to 18.104.22.168-25 I had to rebuild the Unichrome drivers and the whole file corruption problem began again.
I have Gentoo on another partition with the 2.6.11 kernel and I get the same md5sum changes in that partition, occasionally, when using the cp command on the xorg-x11 SRPM while booted into Gentoo.
I see no evidence of data corruption when running email, browser, OpenOffice, xpdf etc.. The system is perfectly stable with my primary partition, Mandrake 10.1. I have changed the md5sum of the xorg-x11 SRPM by doing cp, cp -a and rpm2cpio both as user and root. I don't recall if rpm-i changed the md5sum on xorg-x11 SRPM, but some of the files installed in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/ were clearly corrupted.
I have run memtest86 for hours without error. I have run cpuburn without error. Although the problem seemed to go away when I changed the IDE cable, it has since returned and I never see any errors in messages, syslog or dmesg. I have smartd running. My cpu die temperature is 54 degrees, idling, and 57 degrees under full load.