LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
neon2k2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 14

Rep: Reputation: 0
bootloader fails to install....!!!!


I can get mdk 10.0 to install....but when it comes to the part of installing the bootloader all i get is errors! This is what i have set up for partitions

"/"-4.9gb hdg5
swap- 1gb hdg6
"/home"- 3.8gb hdg7

Is there something i am missing? Possibly a problem with the cd's?

These are the 2 errors that appear:

an error occured insmod'ling module loop failed

mkdir: error creating directory/dev/usb: No space left on device

Please help......Newbie in S.O.S!!!!!!!!!
 
Old 08-17-2004, 01:21 AM   #2
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,025

Rep: Reputation: 34
Re: bootloader fails to install....!!!!

How large is your hardrive?

Have you tried running auto-allocate?

d-1

Quote:
Originally posted by neon2k2
I can get mdk 10.0 to install....but when it comes to the part of installing the bootloader all i get is errors! This is what i have set up for partitions

"/"-4.9gb hdg5
swap- 1gb hdg6
"/home"- 3.8gb hdg7

Is there something i am missing? Possibly a problem with the cd's?

These are the 2 errors that appear:

an error occured insmod'ling module loop failed

mkdir: error creating directory/dev/usb: No space left on device

Please help......Newbie in S.O.S!!!!!!!!!
 
Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
pingu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Skuttunge SWEDEN
Distribution: Debian preferably
Posts: 1,317

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
It's easier if you keep a question in one thread.
Anyway, how much did you choose to install?
 
Old 08-17-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
otish1000c
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Distribution: dual boot.... Mandrake 10.0OE/10.xcooker
Posts: 611

Rep: Reputation: 30
it almost sounds like you don't have enough space left on your /(root) partition. if you have the room, i'd do the following............

repartion & either make /(root) a bit larger, &/or set up partitions like so........

/boot
/(root)
/swap
/usr
/home


/boot need not be large. 500 megs will be plenty sufficient for a /boot partition. same goes for /(root), provided you create a seperate /usr partiton. if you do it that way, /root need only be around 2 gigs, tops. give as much as you can to /usr, because that's where all apps, binaries, etc. will be installed to. make /home as large as you think you'll need. /home only stores peronal setting &/or whatever else you manually put there.

otis
 
Old 08-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,025

Rep: Reputation: 34
That is what I was thinking as well and is why I askef for the size of his harddrive. I believe auto-allocate would have gave him the possible error message that it was too small.

d-1



Quote:
Originally posted by otish1000c
it almost sounds like you don't have enough space left on your /(root) partition. if you have the room, i'd do the following............

repartion & either make /(root) a bit larger, &/or set up partitions like so........

/boot
/(root)
/swap
/usr
/home


/boot need not be large. 500 megs will be plenty sufficient for a /boot partition. same goes for /(root), provided you create a seperate /usr partiton. if you do it that way, /root need only be around 2 gigs, tops. give as much as you can to /usr, because that's where all apps, binaries, etc. will be installed to. make /home as large as you think you'll need. /home only stores peronal setting &/or whatever else you manually put there.

otis
 
Old 08-19-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
neon2k2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
my drive is 80gb's. I tried using autoallocate...it keeps saying not enough space on the drive. I made one paritition of 10gb's. In that partition i made 3 partions for "/" "- 4.9gb's "swap"-1gb and "/home"-3.8gb's. Unless i am doing something wrong! My drive is NTFS but the 10gb partition was formatted in FAT32. Perhaps i need a step-by-step instruction. Maybe someone could send me instructions to make sure i am doing this correctly. Maybe i am not checking off the right settings to install it. Ran scandisk before install...no errors in that respect.
Can't think of anything else that i might be doing wrong.

Specs of my machine:

Win XP
512 (2 x 256 dual channel)
NF7-S 2.0
80gb Seagate 7200rpm
MSI GF FX 5200 128ddr
SB Live 5.1
Athlon XP2600+ (Barton)
MSI DVD, Plextor CD-R
 
Old 08-19-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
otish1000c
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Distribution: dual boot.... Mandrake 10.0OE/10.xcooker
Posts: 611

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
.......My drive is NTFS but the 10gb partition was formatted in FAT32...........
does that mean you formatted the MDK partitions as FAT32? if so, then that's your problem. you need to format them as Linux compatable file systems.......... ext2, ext3, Reiser, Journalized, etc.

to do so, during the install process you'll get a screen that asks you if you want to autoinstall, use free disk space, or expert mode. choose expert. that will let you size/resize partitions & format them for a Linux FS. just don't touch your Windows partition(s) while doing this & you'll be fine. it's pretty self explanatory, but briefly............

you get a layout of your disk space. you'd click on empty space you want to use. you can then break that down into smaller partitions. you have options to resize, format, file system type. click on the empty partition space, resize it, click on the type button, choose whatever you want to put there (/(root), /usr, /swap, etc.) choose the file system type (ext2, ext3, Reiser, etc.). repeat for as many partitions as you need. format when done, then proceed with the install. when it comes to the point (later) in the install, let lilo install to the MBR.

if you're using 10 gigs worth of space for MDK, here's my suggestion for partitioning. please note, this isn't neccessarily the correct way to do this, this is just how i'd do it.

/boot 500 megs ext3
/(root) 1-2 gigs reiser
/swap (depends on RAM......500 megs is a safe size, a bit more if you have under 512megs of RAM)
/usr 4-5 gigs reiser
/home remaining space.

some things to know.......... /boot contains only boot information. it generally won't grow too much unless you have several kernels installed. /(root) will stay about the same size after install, also, as long as you're not running in root mode (which you shouldn't do anyway). /swap is needed. the more the merrier, but don't go more than 900megs because that would be overkill. /usr will contain all apps you install, all binaries, executables, kernels, etc. that will grow every time you add an application so you want to give it some breathing room, especially if you plan on installing tons of stuff. /home will start out small & basically stay the same size, unless you start storing stuff there. /home contains all your personal settings, preferences, etc. if you plan on storing lots of large files there (mp3's, downloads, movies, etc.) you might want to consider giving /home a bit more & /usr a bit less. or, you can always store things on an empty partition if you have one. if you're not going to make a seperate /usr partition, then give /(root) more space because /usr will be stored on the /(root) partition.

otis

Last edited by otish1000c; 08-19-2004 at 04:52 PM.
 
Old 08-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #8
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,025

Rep: Reputation: 34
Yes just follow what otish is saying, go to cutom partititoning and click on that block of color. Make sure you have 2 drives or 2 different partitions or you will lose information.

Your 1st mount should be name" / ", then your "swap file", then your "/home". So you will see red-green-red.

d-1

Quote:
Originally posted by otish1000c
does that mean you formatted the MDK partitions as FAT32? if so, then that's your problem. you need to format them as Linux compatable file systems.......... ext2, ext3, Reiser, Journalized, etc.

to do so, during the install process you'll get a screen that asks you if you want to autoinstall, use free disk space, or expert mode. choose expert. that will let you size/resize partitions & format them for a Linux FS. just don't touch your Windows partition(s) while doing this & you'll be fine. it's pretty self explanatory, but briefly............

you get a layout of your disk space. you'd click on empty space you want to use. you can then break that down into smaller partitions. you have options to resize, format, file system type. click on the empty partition space, click on the type button, choose whatever you want to put there (/(root), /usr, /swap, etc.) choose the file system type (ext2, ext3, Reiser, etc.). repeat for as many partitions as you need. format when done, then proceed with the install. when it comes to the point (later) in the install, let lilo install to the MBR.

if you're using 10 gigs worth of space for MDK, here's my suggestion for partitioning. please note, this isn't neccessarily the correct way to do this, this is just how i'd do it.

/boot 500 megs ext3
/(root) 1-2 gigs reiser
/swap (depends on RAM......500 megs is a safe size, a bit more if you have under 512megs of RAM)
/usr 4-5 gigs reiser
/home remaining space.

some things to know.......... /boot contains only boot information. it generally won't grow too much unless you have several kernels installed. /(root) will stay about the same size after install, also, as long as you're not running in root mode (which you shouldn't do anyway). /swap is needed. the more the merrier, but don't go more than 900megs because that would be overkill. /usr will contain all apps you install, all binaries, executables, kernels, etc. that will grow every time you add an application so you want to give it some breathing room, especially if you plan on installing tons of stuff. /home will start out small & basically stay the same size, unless you start storing stuff there. /home contains all your personal settings, preferences, etc. if you plan on storing lots of large files there (mp3's, downloads, movies, etc.) you might want to consider giving /home a bit more & /usr a bit less. or, you can always store things on an empty partition if you have one. if you're not going to make a seperate /usr partition, then give /(root) more space because /usr will be stored on the /(root) partition.

otis
 
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #9
neon2k2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok, i used the autoallocate...and still it is locking up during install. I burned the install cd1 3 times (downloaded the ISO twice), still the same..it seems to lock up either before the install or during. Unless i am missing something while writing the cd, i'm not sure. Does it not like the serillel sata? I will try connecting the drive onto the ide and try again. Space is not an issue, i have plenty to work with. Any other ideas?
 
Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 AM   #10
neon2k2
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 14

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Otis! Well, i finally figured it out!! (Yeah Me!)..haha! Anyhow, i had a hunch that it may have something to do with the Serille Sata. So, disconnected it and hooked it onto the IDE 1...and OMG!! it started to install, now i am giving MKD 10 a test run...and so far everything seems to be running just fine. Now comes the self learning process of working with Linux. I'd like to thank you and the others for all your help. Believe me, i was going crazy trying to figure out as to why i was having such a difficult time with this. This will definately be an interseting and educating learning process. Once again..thanks to ALL of you!!!

Thanks......a Linux Newbie!!!
 
Old 08-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #11
dolphans1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: LoneStar
Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu
Posts: 1,025

Rep: Reputation: 34
What is a Serille Sata? Did you have a piece of hardware connected wrongly, is that what you are saying?

d-1


Quote:
Originally posted by neon2k2
Otis! Well, i finally figured it out!! (Yeah Me!)..haha! Anyhow, i had a hunch that it may have something to do with the Serille Sata. So, disconnected it and hooked it onto the IDE 1...and OMG!! it started to install, now i am giving MKD 10 a test run...and so far everything seems to be running just fine. Now comes the self learning process of working with Linux. I'd like to thank you and the others for all your help. Believe me, i was going crazy trying to figure out as to why i was having such a difficult time with this. This will definately be an interseting and educating learning process. Once again..thanks to ALL of you!!!

Thanks......a Linux Newbie!!!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to install only bootloader in FC2 bodmas Fedora 3 01-30-2005 10:42 AM
Mandrake 10 does not install bootloader rje_NC Mandriva 19 11-12-2004 02:05 AM
1680 Kb floppy fails for GRUB bootloader aus9 Slackware 3 09-12-2004 01:23 PM
Install Bootloader alone Le_Petit_Lapin Linux - Newbie 8 09-02-2004 12:27 PM
problem with bootloader install jnesbitt Mandriva 1 10-28-2003 06:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration