LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mageia
User Name
Password
Mageia This forum is for the discussion of Mageia Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
digigold
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Northern US
Distribution: Arch, Manjaro, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by movaco View Post
The rankings on Distrowatch not always mean they are the best distributions, there are a few not ranking so good and they do great job, Puppy Linux, PCLinux, Pinguy and some others I consider them to be more functional than Mageia but I guess it is a mater of taste, needs and the hardware you are working on.
I think that in general one might say that beginner friendly desktop distros have the most PH on Distrowatch. Mageia really is a great distro though, especially if you were a fan of Mandrake/Mandriva or are just looking for a rpm based desktop distro with a lot of customization options.

I think it is important to remember that Distrowatch "rankings" are in fact page-hit rankings. I think of it as a possible indicator of the amount of users that are curious about a distro that they're not currently using. If the rankings were more indicative of a distro's userbase it would look much different.
 
Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
movaco
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 8

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by digigold View Post
I think that in general one might say that beginner friendly desktop distros have the most PH on Distrowatch. Mageia really is a great distro though, especially if you were a fan of Mandrake/Mandriva or are just looking for a rpm based desktop distro with a lot of customization options.

I think it is important to remember that Distrowatch "rankings" are in fact page-hit rankings. I think of it as a possible indicator of the amount of users that are curious about a distro that they're not currently using. If the rankings were more indicative of a distro's userbase it would look much different.
Thanks for explanation I could have not done it better myself. Thank you!
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #18
ronss
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: phoenix,az
Distribution: red hat linux enterprise-centos
Posts: 766

Rep: Reputation: 31
i have been using mageia 2, and fairly happy with it. i watch my dvds on it, though you have to know how to get it going, sort of had to do some digging there...i would not say its as stable as ubuntu,but its not bad....sort of agree with above post, rough around the edges..have not tryed 3beta.....as with any distro, seems to have to do some work to get things going....linux mint is easy that way....also, mageia is a france distro, and madriva got a lot of support from europe, as with mageia
 
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
digigold
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2012
Location: Northern US
Distribution: Arch, Manjaro, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 66

Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronss View Post
i have been using mageia 2, and fairly happy with it. i watch my dvds on it, though you have to know how to get it going, sort of had to do some digging there...i would not say its as stable as ubuntu,but its not bad....sort of agree with above post, rough around the edges..have not tryed 3beta.....as with any distro, seems to have to do some work to get things going....linux mint is easy that way....also, mageia is a france distro, and madriva got a lot of support from europe, as with mageia
Mageia is a french distro, but I haven't found that to be an issue at all. I run Mageia 3's rolling release (Cauldron) and find that it is not only more stable but much faster than Ubuntu/Mint, at least with both KDE and razorqt. What DE do you use?

Mageia does take a little more tweaking as sometimes it doesn't rock right out of the box, but it is well worth it and I would encourage you to continue to explore this wonderful distro!
 
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
wchouser3
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
perhaps not quite what it seems

that hits list could be comprimised for a couple of reasons: someone may be purposfully downloading multiple times so as to up the ranking, or perhaps people are downloading several times because it gets corrupted. Also, There are a copious numbers of mirrors out there. Perhaps that list includes those who maintain the mirrors.
 
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #21
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 8,221

Rep: Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552Reputation: 1552
I installed the Enlightenment spin of Mageia in a VM; it's quite a nice distro.
 
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #22
wchouser3
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I wish Izzz a little bit smarter...

I just wish I was a little more fluent in yum, rpm, and such. I'm running it on a VM, and it seems like a well-oiled machine. I just don't know how to install the restricted codecs like I do in debian based distros. I can't be without my libdvdcss2. I think it's staying on top of the list because it found it's way toward the top, and people are trying it to see why. In a way, it's kinda dragging it's self along.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #23
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
It's all right, but I felt like I got the old "bait and switch" when I tried it out at v.2. Wifi worked fine during the live session, but then was non-existent/unrecognized after hdd installation. Besides that, it just felt too hand-holding to me. And I just plain don't like RPM package management.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #24
wchouser3
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJones View Post
It's all right, but I felt like I got the old "bait and switch" when I tried it out at v.2. Wifi worked fine during the live session, but then was non-existent/unrecognized after hdd installation. Besides that, it just felt too hand-holding to me. And I just plain don't like RPM package management.
I agree. I can see how those distros could be more powerful, but when it comes to available packages, the deb distros just win every time. I am a tru linux user, but I also like to install something quickly, and have a reasonable expectation of it working the first time.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchouser3 View Post
I agree. I can see how those distros could be more powerful, but when it comes to available packages, the deb distros just win every time. I am a tru linux user, but I also like to install something quickly, and have a reasonable expectation of it working the first time.
I don't mind configuring things myself (hell, I'm a Slackware, and now Gentoo user!), but if a distro "sells" itself as an easy-to-use, beginners distro, it damn well better "just work." In that respect, Linux Mint and (ugh) Ubuntu do a great job. If I just wanted to get up and running, right away, with a minimum of fuss and configuration, I'd probably just pick Crunchbang (based on Debian).
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #26
wchouser3
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJones View Post
I don't mind configuring things myself (hell, I'm a Slackware, and now Gentoo user!), but if a distro "sells" itself as an easy-to-use, beginners distro, it damn well better "just work." In that respect, Linux Mint and (ugh) Ubuntu do a great job. If I just wanted to get up and running, right away, with a minimum of fuss and configuration, I'd probably just pick Crunchbang (based on Debian).
I was just commenting on YouTube about that. I tried crunchbang yesterday. I kinda liked it, but I can see how a novice user would get a little tripped up. I was suprised to discover it actually uses more resources than Lubuntu, while offering fewer user-friendly features. One thing it is very useful for though is if disk-space is an issue.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #27
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchouser3 View Post
I was just commenting on YouTube about that. I tried crunchbang yesterday. I kinda liked it, but I can see how a novice user would get a little tripped up. I was suprised to discover it actually uses more resources than Lubuntu, while offering fewer user-friendly features. One thing it is very useful for though is if disk-space is an issue.
On my laptop, a Thinkpad T61, I get lower RAM usage with Crunchbang than I do with Lubuntu, both using the 64-bit versions. Idling, with no other apps running, Crunchbang 11 was about 160MB of RAM, whereas Lubuntu 12.04 was about 300MB. Too much for any distro running LXDE, with no other apps running, imo. I guess this stuff is subjective, though, YMMV.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #28
wchouser3
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Distribution: Arch Linux
Posts: 63

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJones View Post
On my laptop, a Thinkpad T61, I get lower RAM usage with Crunchbang than I do with Lubuntu, both using the 64-bit versions. Idling, with no other apps running, Crunchbang 11 was about 160MB of RAM, whereas Lubuntu 12.04 was about 300MB. Too much for any distro running LXDE, with no other apps running, imo. I guess this stuff is subjective, though, YMMV.
12.04 was not a very good release. The problem with the Canonical releases is that often, due to the strict release-date schedule, some releases are less than desirable. Such was the case with 12.04, and 12.10. So much so, many of the ubuntu forks out there decided to skip those releases alltogether. Give 13.04 a try. It's a 1000% improvement.
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #29
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchouser3 View Post
12.04 was not a very good release. The problem with the Canonical releases is that often, due to the strict release-date schedule, some releases are less than desirable. Such was the case with 12.04, and 12.10. So much so, many of the ubuntu forks out there decided to skip those releases alltogether. Give 13.04 a try. It's a 1000% improvement.
For some reason, I feel compelled to try them, but I would never actually install and use any Ubuntu or derivative. I do actually like Linux Mint, despite my issue with green themes (haha), but I would choose to use LMDE before I would the Ubuntu versions. But I'm completely happy with Slackware, after being a long-time Debian user (the jury's still out on Gentoo).
 
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
TobiSGD
Moderator
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Location: Hanover, Germany
Distribution: Main: Gentoo Others: What fits the task
Posts: 15,650
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095Reputation: 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchouser3 View Post
that hits list could be comprimised for a couple of reasons: someone may be purposfully downloading multiple times so as to up the ranking, or perhaps people are downloading several times because it gets corrupted. Also, There are a copious numbers of mirrors out there. Perhaps that list includes those who maintain the mirrors.
That list is not counting downloads at all. It just displays how many page hits the distributions got on their respective Distrowatch site.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mageia 2 is out ennael Mageia 12 08-10-2012 09:16 AM
[SOLVED] Can't Boot Mageia 2 after Upgrading from Mageia 1 gdawg Mageia 3 06-24-2012 11:20 AM
Mageia 2 now available floppywhopper Mandriva 7 06-12-2012 11:45 PM
LXer: Open Source: Mageia 1 to Mageia 2 Upgrade LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 05-22-2012 05:30 PM
Has anyone tried Mageia yet? nigelc Mandriva 4 08-24-2011 04:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration