MageiaThis forum is for the discussion of Mageia Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
The printer is directly on the network with its own IP address and works fine with every other computer in the house.
It works fine with this computer under Windows and, previously, with Wubi and Mint 13, but I can't seem to get it to print with Mageia. I tried installing it using Mageia's own tools and with HPLIP several times. In both cases, it appears to be properly set up, but when I send a page to the printer, whether it's a test page or a page from a document, it pulls two sheets of paper, prints random text across the top of the first one, and feeds the second one through blank.
When I look at the cups logs, everything looks okay to my untrained eye. For example:
The posted random text is Printer Job Language. PJL is an extension to PCL which is the language your printer uses. I can not tell exactly but I would guess the PJL start code is missing or incorrect. It should be Ec%-12345X@PJL where Ec% is the escape code. I'm not sure where to start looking for PJL or filter in cups at the moment.
I still haven't gotten my printer to work with Mageia, but I did something today that leads me to think that this is a Magiea bug.
I have a VM of PCLinuxOS on the Mageia machine, because I wanted to take a look at that distro. On a whim, I gave it a bridged network connection and was able to install the printer to PCLinuxOS (in the VM) and print a valid test page.