I tried the net install and that failed, so I downloaded the DVD. I asked for Xfce. I got half of Xfce but all of KDE, set as the default. I added the missing Xfce bits. Then I deleted KDE, only to find that Mageia thinks LibreOffice and Gstreamer are among its dependencies. When I'd finished the repairs, I logged out and in — to a stripped down Icewm! Sheer curiosity will probably keep me going, but with each installation taking over an hour, my patience may yet be exhausted.
Well, I installed the KDE version with no customisation. Two programs crashed with illegal instructions and the three video players didn't. I was using the 32-bit version: perhaps it's the 64-bit one that actually works.
Last edited by DavidMcCann; 05-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.