LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #46
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by unSpawn
As for the moderators themselves, I have no idea why they give up their time so freely.
Can't speak for the others but I think it's because we recognise that beyond the flak we catch (disrespect, abuse and such) for what we do LQ remains a community that is worth being involved in. LQ just has this "vibe" I haven't found in that many other places.
Same here. I also learn a lot about Linux by helping others.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #47
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Luckily I'm not a senior member any more and don't have anything to say about it
 
Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #48
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
What I think is seniors have more knowledge and experince than juniors (This is just my assumption which may not be correct in every case but generally u can take it.)
I am sorry, but that is just plain silly. It would only be valid if everyone here was learning linux from here, and the knowledge they gained was in direct proportion to the number of posts they made here.

T'ain't so. Speaking just for myself, I can tell you that I am one of the most senior people who post on this site. I have been designing, deploying, integrating, and programming computers for longer than many of the people who post here (including a number of the "senior members") have been alive. I have used Unix since well before there was a Linux.

But I only post here sometimes. Usually in spurts, and as governed by both my interest in posting here (which waxes and wanes) and by how busy I am doing other things. Hence, I am not a senior member and might not be one for years.

There are many here like me.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #49
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,356

Rep: Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616Reputation: 2616
Feedback in this thread has been great - keep it coming. A couple comments (and if I've missed any requests for info or items specifically addressed to me, please repeat):

* The tag needed to mark a post as an answer is "answer".
* A guest viewing a thread does increment the number of views
* It's been mentioned, but to reiterate: the titles here at LQ are only an indication of post count at LQ. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for:
Quote:
Being the premier site globally for all types of Linux stuff means...
Thanks, much appreciated

--jeremy
 
Old 11-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #50
Wim Sturkenboom
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 10.1/10.2/12, Ubuntu 12.04, Crunchbang Statler
Posts: 3,786

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
What I think is seniors have more knowledge and experince than juniors
Although I have never paid attention to it on LQ, I know that there are other sites where you can become a 'senior member' by only starting threads (read: asking questions) and not answering any. I think that's the case here as well ( http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...l&titlesonly=0 ), so titles don't mean anything with regards to knowledge, ability and willingness to help.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #51
Sepero
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 734
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
Feedback in this thread has been great - keep it coming. A couple comments (and if I've missed any requests for info or items specifically addressed to me, please repeat):

* The tag needed to mark a post as an answer is "answer".
* A guest viewing a thread does increment the number of views
* It's been mentioned, but to reiterate: the titles here at LQ are only an indication of post count at LQ. Nothing more, nothing less.
Here's a suggestion: Titles have no bearing on anything of value. They are basically worthless. Toss them. Or, as someone else suggested, give everyone the same title, "member".

And another idea, since post counts prove nothing, think about getting rid of them too. The only purpose they serve is bragging rights, "My thing is bigger than your thing".
 
Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #52
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepero
Here's a suggestion: Titles have no bearing on anything of value. They are basically worthless. Toss them. Or, as someone else suggested, give everyone the same title, "member".
What's wrong in feeling a pride of association with LQ.org? I think user titles serve a valid purpose in bestowing recognition upon long-term members, not necessarily for their knowledge or anything, but for the length of time they've been associated with LQ.org.

In a way, having these little incentives actually help in retaining members and building up a feeling of community. Since most members contribute here out of their own time and effort without any renumeration, it's the least that LQ.org can do is to give a token recognition for their efforts. It makes sense in that perspective.

The fact is that, I see nothing wrong in feeling a sense of "pride of association" with LQ.org and if post counts and user titles help in building that pride of association over a period of time, I see them as a very useful part of the site. That's what keeps long-time members motivated enough to continue contributing. We are all human beings with emotional needs and wants and not just robots.

Sure, we are all here because we like to help out people, but there is a genuine want of recognition that continues to motivate us to contribute and participate.

Equality is all very good in principle, but it rarely works out in real life. The fact that it ignores the emotional requirements of individuals is why this concept always falls down in a heap when put to the test.

Last edited by vharishankar; 11-23-2006 at 09:59 PM.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 10:05 PM   #53
Sepero
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 734
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
You make good points harishankar. I still don't like the post counts though. Post counts should be made private or something.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #54
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
I get your point though. It's been suggested in the past as well, but Jeremy has opted to retain them at this forum.
 
Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #55
titanium_geek
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Distribution: it died/ macosx
Posts: 2,478

Rep: Reputation: 50
In my experience, newbies really get a little extra understanding about how stuff works, a nice welcome (ah! #1 post!) etc. You'd lose this extra welcoming if you didn't know who was new around here. (same as joining date...)

Not that you should not be nice to everyone!

ie, another opinion in favour of keeping titles and numbers.

(you get +1 per post, not per thread)

titanium_geek
 
Old 11-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #56
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Completely Accepted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
I am sorry, but that is just plain silly. It would only be valid if everyone here was learning linux from here, and the knowledge they gained was in direct proportion to the number of posts they made here.

T'ain't so. Speaking just for myself, I can tell you that I am one of the most senior people who post on this site. I have been designing, deploying, integrating, and programming computers for longer than many of the people who post here (including a number of the "senior members") have been alive. I have used Unix since well before there was a Linux.

But I only post here sometimes. Usually in spurts, and as governed by both my interest in posting here (which waxes and wanes) and by how busy I am doing other things. Hence, I am not a senior member and might not be one for years.

There are many here like me.
I really accept with ur view(It's not that ur view is contradicitng me and I want to avoid the contradiciton so Im accepting but I really liked it)I accept this one from Titanium_Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium_geek
In my experience, newbies really get a little extra understanding about how stuff works, a nice welcome (ah! #1 post!) etc. You'd lose this extra welcoming if you didn't know who was new around here. (same as joining date...)

Not that you should not be nice to everyone!

ie, another opinion in favour of keeping titles and numbers.

(you get +1 per post, not per thread)
 
Old 11-27-2006, 12:09 AM   #57
xlnt
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2006
Posts: 17

Rep: Reputation: 0
root is right
 
Old 11-27-2006, 04:25 AM   #58
titanium_geek
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Distribution: it died/ macosx
Posts: 2,478

Rep: Reputation: 50
sigh- please add your own opinions here- don't just grovel to other members! You won't be banned for expressing dissenting opinions!

TG
 
Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 AM   #59
mikieboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Warrington, Cheshire, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 12 LXDE
Posts: 555

Rep: Reputation: 33
Harishankar, for someone who's no longer a senior member with nothing to say on the subject you've sure gone on to say a fair bit
 
Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #60
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
That comment was a shameless plug to get some cheap publicity for my user title.

 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATIIXP & ALSA & DMix help needed (mplayer & xmms audio same time) Angelus Linux - Hardware 7 06-23-2006 06:05 AM
became a senior member heema LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories 2 04-20-2005 01:39 AM
Rules, moderators & moderation Vizion LQ Suggestions & Feedback 25 04-10-2005 11:57 AM
Trying to pick a career... Help from the senior members would be great :D randyriver10 General 43 12-01-2004 09:31 AM
Guess the Correct Time LQ will hit 100,000 Members jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 152 05-03-2004 12:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration