LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #31
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114

You will see a lot of threads here that are not zero reply, but the entire thread (sometimes 4 or 5 posts) is by the same person. First is the question, then hours or days later he comes back and elaborates, or says "I did this and still have the problem. Then a day or two later he comes back and says "bump". Then a couple of days later he comes back and says "well, I guess no one knows."

So, in fact, this 4 post thread is a zero answer thread. It wouldn't be more than a few lines of PHP to have the site recognize these threads for what they were, and it is something you might want to look at.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #32
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
You will see a lot of threads here that are not zero reply, but the entire thread (sometimes 4 or 5 posts) is by the same person. First is the question, then hours or days later he comes back and elaborates, or says "I did this and still have the problem. Then a day or two later he comes back and says "bump". Then a couple of days later he comes back and says "well, I guess no one knows."

So, in fact, this 4 post thread is a zero answer thread. It wouldn't be more than a few lines of PHP to have the site recognize these threads for what they were, and it is something you might want to look at.
I have noticed several reasons why questions don't get answered:
  1. They are vague and lacking in detail about the exact problem. There are many threads where we end up replying with questions instead of answers because the person who started the thread did not provide any useful info to help us help them.
  2. Nobody knows the answer to the problem. Linux and Unix are very complex operating systems and some people attempt to do strange things with their systems. If no other member has worked through a similar problem, then nobody can answer the question.
  3. The thread is a rant or the person asking is not very polite. I have seen many people who start a thread by bashing Linux, threatening to move back to Windows and then maybe ask a question. Such threads tend to get ignored because many people are busy and tired of pointless rants.
  4. Replying to your own thread instead of editing the original post and adding extra detail. This removes the thread from the 0 reply list, so on days that we work through the 0 reply threads, then that thread will be missing from there.
  5. Not searching before starting new threads. If you look at Linux Distributions and Linux Software, you will see lots of similar threads because many people don't bother looking through past threads for possible solutions. Some people get fed up of answering the same questions everyday.

There are probably a lot more reasons out there. My opinion is that if you provide as much detail as possible right from the beginning and make sure you use the search function, then there are more chances of your question being answered.

Last edited by reddazz; 11-23-2006 at 01:19 AM.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 AM   #33
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
I think the type of questions we get can be divided into 3 types:

1. The "how do I do this in Linux?" question, basically a "howto" question -- this gets relatively quick replies.

2. Program usage questions -- ways to use Linux apps to get things done -- mostly installing software and installing drivers -- easier to answer, but requires a bit more patience.

3. Troubleshooting -- errors and problems in hardware and software -- more difficult to answer and unless the other party has the same setup as you do, it's very difficult to pinpoint the exact source of the problem.

THis apart from all the opinions and other threads which are not necessarily technical questions.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 AM   #34
Sepero
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu
Posts: 734
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishankar
It's a question of demand vs supply.

It's inevitable in a site this big that the number of question askers outnumber the number of people who answer by a HUGE margin.
For no good reason other than "reasonable dispute", I disagree with this. In theory, as the number of forum members go up, so should the number of people who wish to help out. Not everyone who registers is going to just ask questions, some will help answer questions.

Obviously in reality, it doesn't always stay in balance. There will always be some posts that never get replied to, and other posts that get replied to much more than they should.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 03:39 AM   #35
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Hot & Useful conclusions

Dear All,
As I have accepted that I was at mistake but I have seen that the Discussion is becoming hot & useful becaz several points coming from senior members like what they think about any post, how they solve, How should we ask the Q's? and lot more. I think Im benefitted.

Thanking U all
Param
 
Old 11-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #36
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 429Reputation: 429Reputation: 429Reputation: 429Reputation: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
Dear All,
As I have accepted that I was at mistake but I have seen that the Discussion is becoming hot & useful becaz several points coming from senior members like what they think about any post, how they solve, How should we ask the Q's? and lot more. I think Im benefitted.

Thanking U all
Param
I love dusting this insightful and frankly marvellous article off
 
Old 11-23-2006, 05:48 AM   #37
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddazz
I have noticed several reasons why questions don't get answered:
  1. They are vague and lacking in detail about the exact problem.
  2. Nobody knows the answer to the problem.
  3. The thread is a rant or the person asking is not very polite.
  4. Replying to your own thread instead of editing the original post and adding extra detail.

There are probably a lot more reasons out there. My opinion is that if you provide as much detail as possible right from the beginning and make sure you use the search function, then there are more chances of your question being answered.
Well, yes, but...

They are still zero answer posts - or, in this case, threads. Particularly the troubleshooting ones where the author has answered himself rather than editing. Whether the author should edit or not is a moot point; people are going to use computers the way they are going to use them, and systems (and sites) need to accommodate that reality. Many (most) will more often reply to their own posts rather than edit. I do it myself, though in my case for a long time I couldn't edit posts on this site for some unknown reason that was probably associated with my security settings; the edit feature simply didn't work.

When identifying zero answer posts, it wouldn't take much to step through the thread to identify whether there was ony one author in the thread. This identification only needs to be made once; set a flag if it is a one author thread and clear the flag if it isn't. If it is, treat it like a zero reply post.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #38
jiml8
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,171

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
Dear All,
As I have accepted that I was at mistake but I have seen that the Discussion is becoming hot & useful becaz several points coming from senior members like what they think about any post, how they solve, How should we ask the Q's? and lot more. I think Im benefitted.

Thanking U all
Param
I don't understand this focus on "senior members".

Moderators have special rights/privileges on this site; a "senior member" is nothing special - just a person who posts a lot.

Quantity of posting is not well correlated with quality of posting.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #39
titanium_geek
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Distribution: it died/ macosx
Posts: 2,478

Rep: Reputation: 50
as a senior member, I can vouch that there are no special privileges except for the number and the title.

Did you know that there are Gurus and LQ Addicts that have even more posts- 5,000+ !

the moderators and jeremy (root) are the only ones who have any special roles to play on this site.

titanium_geek
 
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #40
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
My assumption about Seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml8
I don't understand this focus on "senior members".

Moderators have special rights/privileges on this site; a "senior member" is nothing special - just a person who posts a lot.

Quantity of posting is not well correlated with quality of posting.
What I think is seniors have more knowledge and experince than juniors (This is just my assumption which may not be correct in every case but generally u can take it.)

Moderators and root surely has special privilages.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #41
reddazz
Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: N. E. England
Distribution: Fedora, CentOS, Debian
Posts: 16,298

Rep: Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by param85047
What I think is seniors have more knowledge and experince than juniors (This is just my assumption which may not be correct in every case but generally u can take it.)

Moderators and root surely has special privilages.
Well, being a Senior Member, LQ Addict etc does not mean you are more knowledgeable about Linux than someone classed as a Newbie. It just means you participate a lot more on LQ, either answering or asking questions. I have seen many people classed as Senior Members who don't seem to have a clue about Linux and are primarily here to ask questions and not help. Some are classed as Newbies or Members, but provide very valuable help to others.

On hindsight, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to use the current memebership tags. Maybe something like member for everyone and then moderator and root for the admins would have been ideal and reduced the confusion.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #42
mikieboy
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: Warrington, Cheshire, UK
Distribution: Linux Mint 12 LXDE
Posts: 555

Rep: Reputation: 33
titanium geek's point about senior members may not be understood by all (including the OP) and is worth noting. One achieves senior member status by the number of posts only. It has no bearing on the quality of the posts many of which may be have been unhelpful or of the "in my opinion" type. I regret to say, I have occasionally had the impression of an individual having posted/replied prolifically just to crank up their tally (there's nowt so queer as folk).
There is no guarantee therefore that a senior member knows more on a particular subject than a so-called newbie. Thats just the way it is! Frankly I'm not bothered how you rate LQ users. I value a newbies thoughtful response to my post as much as that of anyone up to and including moderators.
As for the moderators themselves, I have no idea why they give up their time so freely. I'm just grateful that they do! No way should they have to clear up our messes as well.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #43
titanium_geek
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2002
Location: Melbourne Australia
Distribution: it died/ macosx
Posts: 2,478

Rep: Reputation: 50
the titles are simply a reward for participating at LQ, nothing too serious.

I simply posted to confirm that us senior members really are just normal members with more posts.

titanium_geek
 
Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #44
unSpawn
Moderator
 
Registered: May 2001
Posts: 27,120
Blog Entries: 54

Rep: Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788Reputation: 2788
As for the moderators themselves, I have no idea why they give up their time so freely.
Can't speak for the others but I think it's because we recognise that beyond the flak we catch (disrespect, abuse and such) for what we do LQ remains a community that is worth being involved in. LQ just has this "vibe" I haven't found in that many other places.
 
Old 11-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #45
param85047
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2006
Location: Himalayas`
Distribution: Trying with New Distros
Posts: 63

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Fast growing thread

I think this thread is getting much more reviews than any other thread.
Good going and everyone has own view, I too respect Newbies........
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATIIXP & ALSA & DMix help needed (mplayer & xmms audio same time) Angelus Linux - Hardware 7 06-23-2006 06:05 AM
became a senior member heema LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories 2 04-20-2005 01:39 AM
Rules, moderators & moderation Vizion LQ Suggestions & Feedback 25 04-10-2005 11:57 AM
Trying to pick a career... Help from the senior members would be great :D randyriver10 General 43 12-01-2004 09:31 AM
Guess the Correct Time LQ will hit 100,000 Members jeremy LQ Suggestions & Feedback 152 05-03-2004 12:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration