LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,741

Rep: Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568
Megathread for Linus rants?


Considering Linus T is having more and more rants in recent history, justified or not is not somethign I will discuss here, I am wondering if there should be a Megathread for the topics of his rants. There are a few on LQ about his latest and people are posting the exact same thing on each one which in effect means we are reading the same thing over and over and over again.

Just my not so humble opinion but I would think that it woud be more productive to have 1 thread on Linus rants. Doing that would save mods, LQ bandwidth, and LQ users from going from one forum to another as it would all be in the one spot.

As a comparison it is practically the exact same thing as the religion debate and the WIndows Vs Linux debate having 1 megathread each.
 
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,758

Rep: Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465Reputation: 1465
I was also thinking of requesting this. You beat me to it.
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
sundialsvcs
Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2004
Location: SE Tennessee, USA
Distribution: Gentoo, LFS
Posts: 5,397

Rep: Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114Reputation: 1114
Naah, I don't think it will help. Linus will, as you say, "rant," and because he's generally worth listening-to, people will listen and will comment.
 
Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 7,039
Blog Entries: 52

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
We should have a free-for-all, no-holds-barred, throw-the-rules-out-of-the-window thread for everybody to rant in - including Torvalds, if he ever joins LQ.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
DavidMcCann
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: London
Distribution: CentOS, Salix
Posts: 3,120

Rep: Reputation: 791Reputation: 791Reputation: 791Reputation: 791Reputation: 791Reputation: 791Reputation: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianL View Post
We should have a free-for-all, no-holds-barred, throw-the-rules-out-of-the-window thread for everybody to rant in - including Torvalds, if he ever joins LQ.
They do something like that at Fedora Forum: "Rants & Things That Make You Scream. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam..."

On the other hand, perhaps just point people to "Non-*NIX Forums General"?
 
Old 03-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
ottavio
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 46
Mr Linux Torvalds should be ignored. His contribution to the kernel is irrelevant nowadays and knows nothing of userspace (the fact that he uses Fedora is indicative). I must say that Git is a good piece of software.
 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
jlinkels
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Bonaire
Distribution: Debian Lenny/Squeeze/Wheezy/Sid
Posts: 4,160

Rep: Reputation: 504Reputation: 504Reputation: 504Reputation: 504Reputation: 504Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
Mr Linux Torvalds should be ignored. His contribution to the kernel is irrelevant nowadays and knows nothing of userspace (the fact that he uses Fedora is indicative). I must say that Git is a good piece of software.
Unfortunately credibility is built on what you have done in the past, not on what you are doing now. Which is strange, because in some skills, like project management or sales, your last success lasts only 14 days. But for persons like Linus, it is still valid that he will be considered as the most credible person on Linux kernel matters until long after his death.

Unlike you, I don't have an opinion on how serious Linus' opinion must be taken on kernel nowadays. There are other fields on which he also has a strong opinion (like desktops) which are typically userspace. For one, he is extremely knowledgeable on kernel matters and perhaps like few other persons he understands what the implication of wrong choices in kernel policy means.

Back OT, I am in favor of a special thread for rants and flame wars.

jlinkels
 
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,281
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347
A thread for members to post rants and a thread dedicated to rants made by one person (in this case Torvalds) are two different ideas.

Concerning the latter:
Is Linus Torvalds' occasional rants deserving of a dedicated thread? Or would it be better, in cases like the present one where several people start threads in different sub-fora concerning the same outburst, for moderators to merge the threads and admonish the posters who begin the third and forth posts for starting duplicate threads on a singe topic? I am sure both courses will have their supporters.

Concerning the former:
A thread for people to vent sounds good, but has the potential become troublesome.
Vent my hatred of Microsoft. Okay or not okay?
Vent my hatred of Slackware?
Vent my hatred of pizza?
Vent my hatred of women?
Sounds good in theory, but might be difficult to maintain in practice.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,741

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
A thread for members to post rants and a thread dedicated to rants made by one person (in this case Torvalds) are two different ideas.
And anything but discussing a dedicated thread for Linus is off topic but far be it for me to suggest others stay on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
Concerning the latter:
Is Linus Torvalds' occasional rants deserving of a dedicated thread? Or would it be better, in cases like the present one where several people start threads in different sub-fora concerning the same outburst, for moderators to merge the threads and admonish the posters who begin the third and forth posts for starting duplicate threads on a singe topic? I am sure both courses will have their supporters.
I posted this thread because within a very short period of time there were multiple threads started on this issue. One in particular was deliberately hidden "from the naive" masses because someone in Slackware land thought the rest of us were incapable of discussing it. The other threads seem to have died down anyway however, to me anyway, there is no need at all for multiple threads in multiple sub-fora on the same issue. If they want to merge them or make a mega thread I don't really care I simply made a suggestion thinking it would be beneficial to everyone involved if they didn't have to hop from one thread to another to post the same things in multiple places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
Concerning the former:
A thread for people to vent sounds good, but has the potential become troublesome.
Vent my hatred of Microsoft. Okay or not okay?
Vent my hatred of Slackware?
Vent my hatred of pizza?
Vent my hatred of women?
Sounds good in theory, but might be difficult to maintain in practice.
This is out of the scope of the original idea of this thread so I ain't discussing it.
 
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
ottavio
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 46
What about a thread dedicated to rants about Linus's rants.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,281
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
And anything but discussing a dedicated thread for Linus is off topic but far be it for me to suggest others stay on topic.

This is out of the scope of the original idea of this thread so I ain't discussing it.
A general rant thread is definitely outside the scope of the original suggestion, but not necessarily off-topic. It was suggested as an alternative to a Torvalds-specific rant thread, and as such, is more of an expansion to the discussion than an off-topic tangent. At least in my opinion. Although I am sure you will disagree.

Quote:
I posted this thread because within a very short period of time there were multiple threads started on this issue. One in particular was deliberately hidden "from the naive" masses because someone in Slackware land thought the rest of us were incapable of discussing it. The other threads seem to have died down anyway however, to me anyway, there is no need at all for multiple threads in multiple sub-fora on the same issue. If they want to merge them or make a mega thread I don't really care I simply made a suggestion thinking it would be beneficial to everyone involved if they didn't have to hop from one thread to another to post the same things in multiple places.
On that point we are in total agreement.
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,416

Rep: Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628Reputation: 2628
Thanks for the feedback. While I agree that we should be merging multiple threads related to the same rant, I'm not sure it makes sense to have a single thread that lumps together discussion about anything Linus may say/do.

--jeremy
 
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
ottavio
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2007
Posts: 312

Rep: Reputation: 46
Seriously Jeremy, why not make a new subforum dedicated to rants and venting our frustrations? It would like like a back-in-the-day Debian mailing list.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,281
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347Reputation: 347
Because such a thing would be feasible at places like a Debian or Fedora forum, but would not be feasible at places like LQ or an Ubuntu forum. Different atmospheres and attitudes. I cannot see such a thread or sub-forum fitting in here.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,329

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Utterly pointless... the best option if you don't like the linus threads, is not to read them. They seem to be quite easy to spot after all.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GNU/Linux Antivirus Megathread I'm a newb Linux - Security 169 01-12-2011 11:32 PM
LXer: Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 2 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-27-2009 01:00 PM
LXer: Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 1 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-23-2009 03:10 PM
2008 US General Election Megathread XavierP General 205 11-07-2008 12:37 PM
Ubuntu - ALL FINE NOW! - Megathread FreeDoughnut Ubuntu 41 07-24-2006 08:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration