LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54

You're right, others posting before you sync is a real issue. There also is an issue with the post numbers and how we may end up with two posts having the same number, especially if someone posts before you sync. However, these also are issues that can be worked around, say, by changing the post numbers around during the sync process to avoid post database conflicts.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #17
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
why so much hassle :|
to much work involved only to sync LQ offline and for what.. perhaps the question you are answering to in offline mode might as well be already solved before you sync ... and you'd be adding your answer and putting the solved question on top of the list, while other , unsuolved questions might end up unsolved only because they got down the top list because you've synced with LQ.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
MS3FGX
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351
An offline Chrome OS app?

There is really no concept of offline with Chrome OS. If you don't have an internet connection (which is already hard to manage, since you have 3G built in), then the OS is more or less useless. If you are planning to use Chrome OS in a situation where you might not be able to get 100% access to the Internet, I would say you are thinking about a situation for which Chrome OS is completely un-suited.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3FGX View Post
An offline Chrome OS app?

There is really no concept of offline with Chrome OS. If you don't have an internet connection (which is already hard to manage, since you have 3G built in), then the OS is more or less useless. If you are planning to use Chrome OS in a situation where you might not be able to get 100% access to the Internet, I would say you are thinking about a situation for which Chrome OS is completely un-suited.
Really? Try running the Fiabee app and you'll see that it is internal, running as a Chrome extension. Same thing with the Ubuntu One, Chrome Player, Launchpad, Scratchpad, SourceKit, Calculatoure, 5calc, and Write Space apps. Run all those apps and expect to find no URL in the upper bar. Why? Because the URL is internal, under the name "chrome-extension://<random-string>".
 
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,749

Rep: Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462Reputation: 1462
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
That's only if the LQ app is bookmark-style. It would be totally different if you actually could use the app to run LQ offline and then sync to LQ when you get back online.

er, it's called usenet. (Grin, duck, and run)

Last edited by frankbell; 02-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
MS3FGX
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: NJ, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 5,852

Rep: Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Really? Try running the Fiabee app and you'll see that it is internal, running as a Chrome extension. Same thing with the Ubuntu One, Chrome Player, Launchpad, Scratchpad, SourceKit, Calculatoure, 5calc, and Write Space apps. Run all those apps and expect to find no URL in the upper bar. Why? Because the URL is internal, under the name "chrome-extension://<random-string>".
The fact that you could name every major Chrome OS "app" that actually installs itself as an extension, out of the hundreds of apps in the Webstore, is a testament to how little interest there is in developing them.

There is really no debate on this subject, Google's design goal for Chrome OS is a completely web-based, always online, OS.
 
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3FGX View Post
The fact that you could name every major Chrome OS "app" that actually installs itself as an extension, out of the hundreds of apps in the Webstore, is a testament to how little interest there is in developing them.

There is really no debate on this subject, Google's design goal for Chrome OS is a completely web-based, always online, OS.
But the number of apps that install themselves as extensions is growing. There were only about 2 apps when I first started using the Web Store (which is before I got my Cr-48: You can use them in standard Chromium), and now there's many more. I can almost certainly tell you that I did *not* list all of them. Just the *free* ones. There are plenty of paid apps that also install as extensions (I bet you almost all the paid apps that don't require a subscription fee install as extensions).
 
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #23
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,390

Rep: Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626Reputation: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
Is there any possibility that Jeremy (or someone else) can create a Google Chrome extension that provides an App icon for LQ in Chrome's New Tab page? Any feedback is appreciated.
While we have no plans for a ChromeOS App at this time, we'll certainly keep an eye on how ChromeOS progresses and whether an LQ app would be beneficial.

--jeremy
 
Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,684

Rep: Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
to much work involved only to sync LQ offline and for what..
Especially since the HTML5 standard specifies ways to do exactly that. No "app" required.
 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #25
tallship
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern San Clemente, California USA
Distribution: Slackware - duh!
Posts: 520
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK358 View Post
Why does someone have to "write" bookmarks for you?
My daughter says I'm suffering from ADOS - Attention Deficit... Oooh, Shiney!

IOW, I was about to respond to your post @MTK358, and saw a brand new shiney *Arch* icon down there on the bottom left for your browser agent ID

That's the first Arch icon I've noticed here at LQ, and the Oooh, Shiney!, that my daughter keeps reminding me of, LOL!

I'm gonna have to grab that Arch icon and add it to my little collection

Okay, about your post.

DUH!

To expand upon your [rhetorical] question...

You guys want an App? k. np. I get emails for several of the boards I watch here, as well as the *Not Replied To* threads.

There's also RSS, and if you do a little search here, I had a problem where I wanted to get *just* the Slackware forum notifications sent out to me so I could..., um..., compete, so to speak, with some of the other longtime Slackers here who are lightning fast in responding to cries for help from others - although they still beat me to the punch most of the time and I can't figure out how they can get anything else done if they're watching the forums manually.

But I digress...

Anyway, Jeremy personally helped me out setting that up, so search for the thread here on LQ and the detailed instructions contained therein will walk you through it, step by step (Now, I think that just might fit under the definition of a web-app too - without all the upselling!).


Okay, so there's RSS, and a related feed that can be sent to you via email for any forum(s), and OMG! Xmarks works in Chrome, Chromium, FF, and even (or so I'm told) Exploder too!

I hope that helps



Kindest regards,

.

Last edited by tallship; 02-17-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: make pretty - i can haz cheezburgerz now?
 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #26
tallship
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: On the Beaches of Super Sunny Southern San Clemente, California USA
Distribution: Slackware - duh!
Posts: 520
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 112Reputation: 112
Thumbs down Apps Schmapps - it's a bookmark for cryin' out loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvyus_06 View Post
...the question you are answering to in offline mode might as well be already solved before you sync ... and you'd be adding your answer and putting the solved question on top of the list, while other , unsuolved questions might end up unsolved only because they got down the top list because you've synced with LQ.
@silvyus, I disagree with you completely on this point.

Not about the relative issues of posting assistance in an offline mode, not knowing whether your contribution is going to be significant with regards to its timeliness, but rather, that posts on old, stagnant threads, or the notion that threads marked *[Solved]* don't require or deserve comment.

In fact, when Jeremy introduced the *[Solved]* feature, to alert folks that the OP had found a solution, he made a point of mentioning that you still could add to that thread.

You can read more HERE.

I've been the OP of many a thread here where someone posted a comment LONG after I had marked it solved, read that comment, and found significant value in what that poster had to say.

Case in point Here.

I also like to post to old threads myself, when I have a comment or would like to breath life into a discussion that has waned.

One thing that really, no... REALLY bugs me about the Mozilla boards (I forget which particular board system), is that they actually berate and chastise you for posting in an old thread - and then they'll lock it if you do.

Geez! Well, why not just mark the dang thing locked in the first place then? Not only that, but when I google and have six hits to the same problem that requires the exact same fix across multiple versions of TB or FF, It serves to thin the focus of the responses and I have to search all of those fricken threads until I get a satisfactory solution.

What do *I* do over there when it affects me directly? Why, I write up a canned post offline and then post to each of those threads, take my flaming, watch them lock the threads, and then get PMs thanking me for posting the common solution across all of the instances of that particular issue scattered across those distributed threads.

No. I do not agree with you at all on this point.

Last edited by tallship; 02-17-2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added references
 
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
silvyus_06
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2010
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 , Linux Mint Debian Edition , Microsoft Windows 7
Posts: 386

Rep: Reputation: 49
good point. i get it.
but for example i've seen posts that are like posting in a 5 year old thread saying a more modern thing, though i'm quite sure after 5 years the OP isnt even going to remember about that thread he openes(i certainly wouldjnt :\ )

i also hate that they tell you huh why the heck did you post, and ive also happened to do that one time on romanian ubuntu forum and i got shut up by them . lol . i hate that. i like LQ .
 
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #28
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54
I was able to create an LQ app using Appmator; all I have to do is, when I get my next paycheck, pay the $5 developer registration fee and upload it.
 
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #29
MTK358
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,443
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Strawn View Post
I was able to create an LQ app using Appmator; all I have to do is, when I get my next paycheck, pay the $5 developer registration fee and upload it.
You mean a bookmark-style app?
 
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #30
Kenny_Strawn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Location: /usa/ca/orange_county/lake_forest
Distribution: ArchBang, Google Android 2.1 + Motoblur (on Motortola Flipside), Google Chrome OS (on Cr-48)
Posts: 1,791
Blog Entries: 62

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 54
Yes. However, I wonder who can upload it to the Chrome Web Store for me (who already has paid the fee). If anyone responds, I will email them (via LQ) asking for a reply so I can use Gmail to send the app to them so they can upload it.
 
  


Reply

Tags
app, chrome+os, google+chrome, new+tab


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do Google make money from "Google Chrome Web Browser" jijo_bose General 4 12-01-2010 03:49 AM
LXer: Google Talk #1 – All about App Engine with Google’s Fred Sauer LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-06-2010 04:00 PM
LXer: Google Chrome Automatically Installs Google Repository in Ubuntu LXer Syndicated Linux News 3 05-07-2010 11:20 AM
Google Chrome khaledaljabry Linux - Newbie 3 05-05-2010 09:20 AM
LXer: Another Google App., Another Google Yawn LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 06-07-2006 02:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration