LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Rep: Reputation: 46
Question HCL entries?


i've added about 3 or 4 HCL entries, but they don't show up in my profile count. do i have to notify someone, or am i missing a step somewhere?
 
Old 02-18-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
DrOzz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 4,185

Rep: Reputation: 59
you have to wait until they get verified, and when they do you will be notified by email and then you will see them in your profile
 
Old 02-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
oh! okay, thanks. thought i might be doing something wrong.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #4
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Re: HCL entries?

Quote:
Originally posted by synaptical
i've added about 3 or 4 HCL entries, but they don't show up in my profile count. do i have to notify someone, or am i missing a step somewhere?
If you added to an existing Entry, your only submitting a Review and not an actual Entry. The count in your side profile is only for actual HCL entries and not Reviews to them that you've added. This has been asked and covered many times in the past week once added.

And the Reviews is for adding actual books and Distro's to the Reviews sections.. the total doesn't count when you add a Review for existing products that have been added already, etc.

Regards.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
Re: Re: HCL entries?

Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
If you added to an existing Entry, your only submitting a Review and not an actual Entry. The count in your side profile is only for actual HCL entries and not Reviews to them that you've added. This has been asked and covered many times in the past week once added.

And the Reviews is for adding actual books and Distro's to the Reviews sections.. the total doesn't count when you add a Review for existing products that have been added already, etc.

Regards.
ic - thanks. all my hardware seems to be already added, so i guess i get a big goose-egg for HCLs.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,475

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
Let me ask the question. What would everyone rather have the number represent?

Number of products *entered*
or
Number of products *reviewed*

--jeremy
 
Old 02-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
DrOzz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 4,185

Rep: Reputation: 59
i think it should be products "entered" personally ....

and just a question for you...
and that is, is it just the mods that have all them buttons under the text area in the post ..
i ask this cause just judging by this thread you and tricky are the only ones that have things such as the journal, review buttons, etc ?

or do they just get added as you participate in them features ?

Last edited by DrOzz; 02-18-2004 at 02:56 PM.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,475

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
They get added as you participate (in the case of the journal you need to be a contributing member).

--jeremy
 
Old 02-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #9
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
DrOzz - if you look at your buttons and then over to the left, you will see that you have the HCL button, but not a review button. The buttons link to your entries. Since you have not submitted a review or a journal you won't have the button.

If you want the buttons, you will have to start a journal and a submit a review.

edited because Jeremy beat me to it
 
Old 02-18-2004, 03:13 PM   #10
DrOzz
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 4,185

Rep: Reputation: 59
yah i did notice that, and i edited my post cause i kinda realized that this is probably the case ... cause in my original question i actually asked about HCL and reviews, and then noticed i did have an HCL button, so i edited my post ...
so overall what i am trying to say, is that i spoke too soon ;-)
but thanks to both for answering me anyways
 
Old 02-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
np DrOzz - I only really noticed/thought about it when I read your post.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
synaptical
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4
Posts: 2,020

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
Let me ask the question. What would everyone rather have the number represent?

Number of products *entered*
or
Number of products *reviewed*
i think the HCL number should be for entries OR reviews (hcl reviews). after all, everyone who participates there is adding more information to the knowledge base that could be helpful to someone seeking to find out about that particular piece of hardware. even if a review only echoes what a previous person has said, it adds another reviewer's experience to the category which may help someone make a decision one way or another. ten people saying: "i used xyz component, and it worked great," is a stronger case for the hardware than one person having success with it. likewise if there are compatability problems -- maybe even moreso if there are problems, in fact. and not everyone uses the same distro, either, so there could be differences there which are notable.

 
Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally posted by synaptical
i think the HCL number should be for entries OR reviews (hcl reviews). after all, everyone who participates there is adding more information to the knowledge base that could be helpful to someone seeking to find out about that particular piece of hardware. even if a review only echoes what a previous person has said, it adds another reviewer's experience to the category which may help someone make a decision one way or another. ten people saying: "i used xyz component, and it worked great," is a stronger case for the hardware than one person having success with it. likewise if there are compatability problems -- maybe even moreso if there are problems, in fact. and not everyone uses the same distro, either, so there could be differences there which are notable.

I'm actually against this as I think it will be like those who post to boost their count. Anyone can lie and say they have that product and it works, but most can't supply the information asked if they don't have the actual product, etc.

I think it should stay the same as also you can review the same product more than once.

Regards.
 
Old 02-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #14
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
I have to agree with Trickykid. Only the original review/HCL should count. Any further posts are expanding on the original assessment and so are not, strictly, unique. Plus the post count boost thing.

But then, this isn't a competition and you don't get anything extra for posting HCLs or reviews - anything apart from, of course, a warm glow from contributing .

Heheh - if there were prizes for posting you'd see my count shoot straight up!
 
Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,475

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
XavierP - stay tuned

--jeremy
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DISCUSSION: Guide to Linuxquestions HCL entries. finegan LinuxAnswers Discussion 2 09-20-2005 07:43 AM
need help editing my HCL Entries Rusty_L LQ Suggestions & Feedback 0 03-05-2005 12:39 AM
hcl entries berrance LQ Suggestions & Feedback 3 03-03-2005 04:51 AM
a couple of my HCL entries disappeared? carl0ski LQ Suggestions & Feedback 1 01-05-2005 07:20 PM
HCL entries not counted Riley LQ Suggestions & Feedback 4 06-11-2004 03:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration