LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
bugmenot60
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 15
Bugmenot


If you go to http://www.bugmenot.com/view/linuxquestions.org,
you'll see that LQ has been banned from bugmenot.

Why did LQ complain to bugmenot?

This forum really sucks.
 
Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
frob23
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Roughly 29.467N / 81.206W
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, NetBSD
Posts: 1,449

Rep: Reputation: 47
This is a forum not some little site with articles you can't read without registering. You can read everything here as a guest... but posting requires a real account.

The fact that you even need to ask this question makes me wonder if you're honestly that ignorant.
 
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
stress_junkie
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.5
Posts: 3,873

Rep: Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331Reputation: 331
I think the bugmenot wording is backwards. It makes more sense that LQ has barred bugmenot.
 
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
frob23
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Roughly 29.467N / 81.206W
Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, NetBSD
Posts: 1,449

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Sites will be blocked from the bugmenot database if they match one or more of the following criteria:

* Pay-per-view: Users pay money to access the site
* Community: users register only to add/change content (but not to view)
* Fraud risk: user accounts contain banking/commerce details e.g. banks, Amazon, ebay, etc

By continuing with this process you are agreeing your site does in fact match one of these criteria.
It's clear to almost anyone with a bit of sense that there's a valid reason that LQ is blocked from BugMeNot.
 
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,483

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
Registering is free and comes with zero obligation. We do however like each members posts to belong to one person for a variety of reason. One is so the archive of information here has a natural flow, but shared account also tend to end up getting banned (it only takes one user to do something way over the line). I apologize if that requirement makes us suck in your eyes. I have edited the swearing out of your post, since it violates the LQ rules.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
mail510403
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
Registering is free and comes with zero obligation. We do however like each members posts to belong to one person for a variety of reason. One is so the archive of information here has a natural flow, but shared account also tend to end up getting banned (it only takes one user to do something way over the line). I apologize if that requirement makes us suck in your eyes. I have edited the swearing out of your post, since it violates the LQ rules.

--jeremy
Jeremy, you CANNOT search and do many things on this crap form without registering.

And the registration process is extremely onerous.

I see you BANNED the bugmenot60 account. Gee, thanks.
 
Old 01-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,483

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
First, you can absolutely search here without registering in any way. I'm not sure if you're being purposely disingenuous, or if you just didn't try. Second, I can't see how the registration process is that much of a burden. We require almost no information and the process can be completed in well under a minute. Also take into consideration that you only need to register if you want to post or if you want to take advantage of some of the advanced features such as keeping track of which posts you read. Lastly, FWIW I didn't ban the account and it's not banned. The fact that *anyone* was able to get the login information means that anyone could log in and change it also.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Daws
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian, Linux From Scratch
Posts: 416
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
First, you can absolutely search here without registering in any way.
When did you turn it back on? That was actually one of the main reasons I registered here.
 
Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,483

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
We turned it off for a while due to a hardware failure. We've had a dedicated search server with search open to all for a while now...probably at least 6 months. Having registered, have you found having an account to be beneficial at all? I see you've chosen to contribute, which we certainly appreciate.

--jeremy
 
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #10
vharishankar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,142
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
If you think it's such a crap forum, I wonder why you bothered to re-register...

Yes, this is a community forum and Jeremy has all the right to restrict access to shared user accounts as this is meant to be a "community" site where every user *needs* a unique posting account to be identified. If you cannot understand that concept, then perhaps you'd better go elsewhere.
 
Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #11
trickykid
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2001
Posts: 24,133

Rep: Reputation: 199Reputation: 199
I'm amazed when people bitch about free services. It's worse than those that eat all of their food but then complain that the food wasn't any good, demanding a refund.
 
Old 01-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Daws
Member
 
Registered: May 2006
Location: UK
Distribution: Debian, Linux From Scratch
Posts: 416
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
Having registered, have you found having an account to be beneficial at all?
Oh yes, it was definitely worth it. Searching wasn't the only reason, but it was certainly very useful, I really wanted to ask/answer some questions also. On top of all the other bonuses it is also nice to have my own identity rather than remain a nameless guest.
 
Old 01-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #13
mail510403
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2007
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy
First, you can absolutely search here without registering in any way. I'm not sure if you're being purposely disingenuous, or if you just didn't try. Second, I can't see how the registration process is that much of a burden. We require almost no information and the process can be completed in well under a minute. Also take into consideration that you only need to register if you want to post or if you want to take advantage of some of the advanced features such as keeping track of which posts you read. Lastly, FWIW I didn't ban the account and it's not banned. The fact that *anyone* was able to get the login information means that anyone could log in and change it also.

--jeremy
Jeremy, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

You CANNOT search unless you have registered for an account
on this crap forum.
 
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
XavierP
Moderator
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Kent, England
Distribution: Lubuntu
Posts: 19,176
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430Reputation: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail510403
Jeremy, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

You CANNOT search unless you have registered for an account
on this crap forum.
No. You are wrong wrong wrong. I just cracked open a different browser, one I have never logged in from, and happily searched the forums.

And if this forum is so crap, why on earth are you bothering to post here? The mind boggles. And I thin Jeremy needs to create an emoticon for that so I can use it regularly.
 
Old 01-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,483

Rep: Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail510403
Jeremy, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

You CANNOT search unless you have registered for an account
on this crap forum.
Really? Have you tried? If you really think LQ is crap, we're certainly willing to listen to things we could due to improve. If you'd just like to complain without being constructive, fell free to try and find a site that is more conducive to your needs.

--jeremy
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BugMeNot lone_nut LQ Suggestions & Feedback 5 07-19-2004 02:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration