LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
apt-get purge "trolls"


Thought I'd give this a catchy title so no one is confused as to the purpose of this topic.

Every forum has trolls, some are rude, others are like a mosquito buzzing around your ears, others again are online merely to push their particular agenda. After a thread was started in which a moderator said we had been cautioned not to feed trolls and that the member who started it was previously another member I wondered why is LQ allowing members who do nothing at all in LQ apart from troll to even be members.

Isn't it time for a general clean out of the zoo, dungeon, whatever you want to call it so LQ mods don't have to warn us not to feed trolls, who it appears have been let do whatever they want. Especially when some of these trolls have been members before and been banned for this behaviour and in their new guise have been a member for 19 months yet still just troll and haven't added anything positive to LQ?

I'm not talking about people that, as individuals, we have philosophical differences with (although if they are members of LQ yet do not do anything but push an agenda one wonders why they are still here) but rather people who do not in anyway shape or form use LQ in its overriding intended role.

So having said all that I would like to suggest, and feel free to extol the virtues of freedom of speech etc. in any rebuttal of this suggestion, that the LQ hierarchy clean out the dungeon and ban the trolls who add nothing to LQ.

Last edited by k3lt01; 11-02-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: To much punctuation.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
JWJones
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2009
Location: Cascadia
Distribution: Slackware, LinuxBBQ, OpenBSD, Mac OSX
Posts: 723

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
I'm with you, if someone is known to be a troll and nothing more, give 'em the boot.
 
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 8,236

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
I agree that trolls are irritating at the least, but excommunicating them requires determining that their intent, not just their effect, is to troll.

That is a heavy responsibility to hang on the moderators. I have seen them ban persons from LQ after giving them plenty of rope. Since anyone is liable to have a bad day at the keyboard and to post without thinking, I think that leniency is the best policy.

I'll make an analogy. I live in a condo. We have a good board--stuff works, they maintain a healthy reserve, things get fixed without assessments, and they have to be pushed and pushed before they will come down on a resident who is annoying and obnoxious. There are other condos in the neighborhood where the least little thing (an empty flower pot on the deck, for example) earns you a snippy letter telling you to straighten up and fly right (those boards are referred to in condo-speak as "clipboard Nazis").

Life is much nicer in my condo.

Part of the charm of LQ is its welcoming nature. I would rather the "board" of LQ err on the side of leniency, rather than start making notes on their clipboards at every little thing.

Just my two cents.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
jamison20000e
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce, JWM or CLI but open ;-)
Posts: 1,455
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382
Assuming the law is followed (opinions and guesses aside) no need for judge, jury, executioner from freedom of speech! Of course you don't hear\read much I assume now do you? Some people are too... //*\\ (honestly me and s\he'd both have to go under k3s(?less) regime)

Last edited by jamison20000e; 11-03-2013 at 12:18 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
I agree that trolls are irritating at the least, but excommunicating them requires determining that their intent, not just their effect, is to troll.

That is a heavy responsibility to hang on the moderators. I have seen them ban persons from LQ after giving them plenty of rope. Since anyone is liable to have a bad day at the keyboard and to post without thinking, I think that leniency is the best policy.

I'll make an analogy. I live in a condo. We have a good board--stuff works, they maintain a healthy reserve, things get fixed without assessments, and they have to be pushed and pushed before they will come down on a resident who is annoying and obnoxious. There are other condos in the neighborhood where the least little thing (an empty flower pot on the deck, for example) earns you a snippy letter telling you to straighten up and fly right (those boards are referred to in condo-speak as "clipboard Nazis").

Life is much nicer in my condo.

Part of the charm of LQ is its welcoming nature. I would rather the "board" of LQ err on the side of leniency, rather than start making notes on their clipboards at every little thing.

Just my two cents.
I agree but when a moderator points out in a thread what a person is hasn't the assessment already been made? I'm just asking the obvious question after the fact that if someone has been assessed, already, as a troll why are they still here? The burden of assessment has already been taken what else is there to do? Oh lets just leave them here and tell everyone else not to post in response to them! Wouldn't the workload be lighter if the mods didn't have to do this every thread an already assessed troll creates?
 
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
aus9
Guru
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,060

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hey and Hi

I might have agreed with banning and kicking even scratching in the past.

Generally humans in history have killed each other etc etc but right now
we tend to agree that everyone should not kill each other.

what is my point?
Is it worth a moderator's time to chasten the few?
Why should they have emotional traumas dealing with nasty people. They are mod er ators not dictators

We tend to live longer if we are generally more happy to see someone rather than berate them.

We all enjoy a good dummy spit (well I do) but life is too short to hold a grudge.

Lets move on.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus9 View Post
Hey and Hi

I might have agreed with banning and kicking even scratching in the past.

Generally humans in history have killed each other etc etc but right now
we tend to agree that everyone should not kill each other.

what is my point?
Is it worth a moderator's time to chasten the few?
Why should they have emotional traumas dealing with nasty people. They are mod er ators not dictators

We tend to live longer if we are generally more happy to see someone rather than berate them.

We all enjoy a good dummy spit (well I do) but life is too short to hold a grudge.

Lets move on.
The historical comparison is not valid, this is a cyber world.

There is no emotional trauma moderating a forum, people volunteer to do a job if they can't do it, without suffering emotional trauma, then why do it? But again that point is not valid.

No one has berated anyone, or even had a dummy spit in the thread mentioned. A moderator has already labelled a person as a troll so the obvious question remains if they are a troll, and they do not add anything of value to LQ, why are they still here? If they are not doing any harm why are we being told not to feed them? Why are we being given gentle reminders? If it is all to emotionally traumatic why even worry lets just let everyone discuss what they want how they want.

The issue isn't just the trolling, it is being told not to feed them. If it is acceptable to troll, and it certainly seems that it is for some, it is also acceptable for the rest of us to join in the conversation with the troll.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #8
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420
Perhaps it is a loosing battle to continually go through the procedure of banning a person who creates a new account each time, so the moderators urge everyone to ignore the trolls, so they get bored and leave?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
Perhaps it is a loosing battle to continually go through the procedure of banning a person who creates a new account each time, so the moderators urge everyone to ignore the trolls, so they get bored and leave?
Perhaps but it isn't really the optimal way to work it is it?
 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420
No, it is not the optimal solution, but it can work. If members resist the urge, which can be very hard sometimes.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
No, it is not the optimal solution, but it can work. If members resist the urge, which can be very hard sometimes.
You couldn't!
 
Old 11-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420
I could not resist responding to a troll? Is this a troll thread?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623
Randicus, it was not a criticism but rather I was pointing out that it is easier to control one than to control many. If it ok for trolls to continuously troll it must be ok for real members to respond to them.
 
Old 11-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,385
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420Reputation: 420
I did not take it as criticism. It was a joke, but unfortunately, this board does not have a laughing icon. The best I could use in this case was an embarrassed icon.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,984

Rep: Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555Reputation: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
If it ok for trolls to continuously troll it must be ok for real members to respond to them.
That is an excellent point.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unique password for "update" and "synaptic" and "apt-get" SaintDanBert Linux - Security 1 09-17-2010 05:53 AM
"dpkg error in --configure" in most all (508) programs after "apt-get dist-upgrade" fluffymuffins Debian 3 08-09-2010 04:47 AM
debian deb packaging: how to detect "--purge"-switch t0bias Debian 1 06-28-2010 06:24 AM
Set the status of "purge" packages - dpkg --get-selections kushalkoolwal Debian 7 01-09-2009 12:48 PM
Feeding the output of "diff" or "cat" command to dpkg --purge kushalkoolwal Debian 9 06-19-2008 08:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration