LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Is your real objection that this makes it easier for people to ignore your evangelizing?
You know as well as I do, my honest comments provoke (sic) plenty of response.
 
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,803

Rep: Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Respectfully, how are serious questions about faith, with an aim to engage people of all walks of life, "identical" to the mega-religion thread? You can at least let 2 or 3 other faith threads live, that gather attention from the community. Not every religious topic fits nicely into "Rank your Religion." I'd have never looked there had my posts not been merged there, and I think many Christians would do likewise.
Once again, since you seem to be missing the point:
THIS IS LINUXQUESTIONS. If you want to post religious threads, you have options. Please, PICK ONE:
  • Go to the "Social Groups" forum, join/create a Christian group.
  • Go to a different website that discusses such things.
  • Learn to live with YOUR thread/ideas being treated just like everyone ELSES threads/ideas.
  • Quit posting off-topic junk that has importance to YOU, and assuming it has the same importance to everyone else.
  • Quit posting off-topic threads period.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Second time you've mentioned this, and I still fail to see your point. Would you care to make it plain, since I'm missing it?? Are you implying that I'm pro-marijuana? Have I done or said ANYTHING to lead you to that conclusion?
Implying you personally are pro-marijuana, is the furthest from my mind. I brought this up twice, as the most conspicuous example I can think of because twice it was stated religion threads do not belong in General. (Yes, I know that's been brought up more than twice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again, it is MY opinion that LinuxQuestions should be about LINUX. But, this is not my board, and the moderators do an outstanding job of keeping off-topic conversations civil and ongoing, and stepping in when they're not. General is the board where anything is tolerated...if you want to post to the moderators, doing it publicly is (again) troll-like behavior, since this thread serves NO PURPOSE, except give you another opportunity to bring up religion. Want to talk about it? Take it to the appropriate forum/board/site/whatever.
With little reservation, you're right about this appeal belonging in the Moderator Questions/Comment Forum. And you're right. The moderators do a fantastic job of keeping things in order. At the same time, several threads on any topic should be allowed to live if they're not very closely related and their titles aren't anywhere near the other OPs intent. Yet I see your point. This could get challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
YOU said, it's part of everyone's life. The fact is, it is NOT part of everyone's life, just like anything else, except breathing and eating. I could say "auto maintenance affects EVERYONE", but it's not true. It only affects those that have cars. It may be important TO ME, but I'm not naive enough to think it applies to everyone.
Do you meet people every day who have faith? If people express their faith in your view, then faith is a part of your life.

Last edited by bluegospel; 01-11-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: repair quote tag
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,803

Rep: Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Implying you personally are pro-marijuana, is the furthest from my mind. I brought this up twice, as the most conspicuous example I can think of because twice it was stated religion threads do not belong in General. (Yes, I know that's been brought up more than twice)
And I will AGAIN tell you I think that ANYTHING not Linux/Unix related doesn't belong on here. The difference is, no one in that thread asked for opinions.
Quote:
With little reservation, you're right about this appeal belonging in the Moderator Questions/Comment Forum. And you're right. The moderators do a fantastic job of keeping things in order. At the same time, several threads on any topic should be allowed to live if they're not very closely related and their titles aren't anywhere near the other OPs intent. Yet I see your point. This could get challenging.
Nothing challenging at all, unless you have very little common sense. You posted it to the moderators...publicly. No reason to at all, unless you want the aforementioned attention to your evangelizing. And AGAIN, your logic seems to be lacking...you say above that several threads should be allowed to live, if they're not closely related...but complain because the christianity threads you start get merged...into ONE thread about christianity. Are you even paying attention to what you post?
Quote:
Do you meet people every day who have faith? If people express their faith in your view, then faith is a part of your life.
Again, your logic is flawed. Someone elses faith doesn't concern me in ANY way, AT ALL. That's a personal decision for EVERYONE, just like what color hair to have, what clothes to wear, etc. To put it simply, if you met a fashion model in some hideous $10,000 gown, does that mean that 'high fashion' is then a part of your life? You meet atheists every day...does that mean that atheisism is part of your life too????
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
And I will AGAIN tell you I think that ANYTHING not Linux/Unix related doesn't belong on here. The difference is, no one in that thread asked for opinions.

Nothing challenging at all, unless you have very little common sense. You posted it to the moderators...publicly. No reason to at all, unless you want the aforementioned attention to your evangelizing. And AGAIN, your logic seems to be lacking...you say above that several threads should be allowed to live, if they're not closely related...but complain because the christianity threads you start get merged...into ONE thread about christianity. Are you even paying attention to what you post?
By challenging, I'm speaking of maintaining several ongoing threads about different aspects of religion, rather than one "mega-thread" that dumps everything having to do with faith or religion under a profoundly anti-Christ (in principle, not as in, the OP is anti-christ) title, "Rank your religion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Again, your logic is flawed. Someone elses faith doesn't concern me in ANY way, AT ALL. That's a personal decision for EVERYONE, just like what color hair to have, what clothes to wear, etc. To put it simply, if you met a fashion model in some hideous $10,000 gown, does that mean that 'high fashion' is then a part of your life? You meet atheists every day...does that mean that atheisism is part of your life too????
Absolutely. If something is part of the human experience, it's a part of our life. In may not be part of my lifestyle, but part of my life, yes.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
TB0ne
Guru
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS
Posts: 13,803

Rep: Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
By challenging, I'm speaking of maintaining several ongoing threads about different aspects of religion, rather than one "mega-thread" that dumps everything having to do with faith or religion under a profoundly anti-Christ (in principle, not as in, the OP is anti-christ) title, "Rank your religion."
This is the kind of response that earns you the "Troll" badge. You split hairs, backpedal, use circular logic, etc., to make your 'point'. YOU SAID:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel
At the same time, several threads on any topic should be allowed to live if they're not very closely related and their titles aren't anywhere near the other OPs intent
So...putting christianity related threads together is somehow wrong? They're NOT closely related?? How (and WHO), exactly should 'intent' be determined?? Do you actually think there should be a ton of christianity threads on a TECHNICAL forum? Christianity threads are merged, because the TOPIC IS THE SAME. You, your ideas, beliefs, etc., are NOTHING SPECIAL, and shouldn't expect to be treated any differently. Once again:

THIS IS LINUXQUESTIONS. If you want to post religious threads, you have options. Please, PICK ONE:
  • Go to the "Social Groups" forum, join/create a Christian group.
  • Go to a different website that discusses such things.
  • Learn to live with YOUR thread/ideas being treated just like everyone ELSES threads/ideas.
  • Quit posting off-topic junk that has importance to YOU, and assuming it has the same importance to everyone else.
  • Quit posting off-topic threads period.
Quote:
Absolutely. If something is part of the human experience, it's a part of our life. In may not be part of my lifestyle, but part of my life, yes.
Only in the VERY abstract sense, which has nothing to do with this. Again, your troll-badge is well earned.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
wpeckham
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix
Posts: 739

Rep: Reputation: 169Reputation: 169
re bluegospel

I fail to understand how posting in "LinuxQuestions" should be related to any religion (or all religions).

I am very religious, but I have never before felt the need to point that out in a technical forum.

Here is not the place to discuss religion, politics, social medicine, or most aspects of goat herding. These are (in general) not technical subjects related to Linux.

I am sorry if anyone considers Linux their religion: that problem is beyond my capacity to resolve.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
jeremy
root
 
Registered: Jun 2000
Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu
Posts: 10,170

Rep: Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591Reputation: 2591
Thanks for the feedback. To reiterate, LQ is first and foremost about discussing topics related to Linux and Open Source. If your main goal is to discuss religion, there are almost certainly better fora available for you to do so. We do offer General as a kind of water cooler for the LQ community, and we *attempt* to allow all subjects there. Certain subjects such as religion and politics have proven to be _extremely_ difficult to keep on track and non-confrontational. Because of this we have measures in place, such as the Mega threads, to attempt to keep things as civil as possible. It entirely within the realm on possibility that there is a better way for us to handle these topics and were certainly willing to listen to specific recommendations.

--jeremy
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 2,308

Rep: Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768
I think the "Rank your religiousness" thread should have its title amended to reflect its current status as the "Mega Religion" thread.

Last edited by ntubski; 01-11-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
bluegospel
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Distribution: centOS
Posts: 404

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 53
Thanks for paying me any mind Jeremy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Thanks for the feedback. To reiterate, LQ is first and foremost about discussing topics related to Linux and Open Source. If your main goal is to discuss religion, there are almost certainly better fora available for you to do so. We do offer General as a kind of water cooler for the LQ community, and we *attempt* to allow all subjects there. Certain subjects such as religion and politics have proven to be _extremely_ difficult to keep on track and non-confrontational. Because of this we have measures in place, such as the Mega threads, to attempt to keep things as civil as possible.
I understand. And my biggest benefit from these forums is in fact the technical help I have at times received here. Learning about Linux-related stuff is of utmost importance to me--in particular web-programming, but I have to admit and beg you understand, I can't help but be more conversant in the eternal Christ. That's just me. If there's a general forum that I'm going to "cool off" at, Christ is going to have to dominate my conversation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
It entirely within the realm on possibility that there is a better way for us to handle these topics and were certainly willing to listen to specific recommendations.
Does this mean you'll consider letting at least another mega-thread run with a title besides the one we have (which is a deterent at least to me)--maybe just "The Faith & Religion Thread"?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,658

Rep: Reputation: 883Reputation: 883Reputation: 883Reputation: 883Reputation: 883Reputation: 883Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Is your real objection that this makes it easier for people to ignore your evangelizing?
That is the real crux of the matter, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
Respectfully, how are serious questions about faith, with an aim to engage people of all walks of life, "identical" to the mega-religion thread? You can at least let 2 or 3 other faith threads live, that gather attention from the community. Not every religious topic fits nicely into "Rank your Religion." I'd have never looked there had my posts not been merged there, and I think many Christians would do likewise.
(bolding by me)

There is the admission, at least in part. You want to have as much 'exposure' to your religious ideas as possible.

BTW, if people checked your profile page, they would see this (edited down by me)

Quote:
tangle
in regards to the forum post Rank your religiousness. I feel you wanting to save lost souls, but there are some that will not accept the word.
Quote:
bluegospel
You're right, but the fact that I have their attention suggests there's hope for them too.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...gospel-510300/

This is not the forum for you to go around trying to convert people, or evangelise in general. Just because people reply to your (rather strange and convoluted, when its not cirular logic) posts doesnt mean that you are making any converts. IMO you are actually doing your faith a disservice, I believe (LOL) that more people are swayed by the ideas put forward and posts from the atheist/agnostic side of the discussion. BTW, no, I'm not an atheist or agnostic.

Using your logic, I should be able to create several threads on cannabis/drugs-

"Drug Use and Health"
"Cannabis And Paper"
"Hempcrete- Better Than Concrete In All Respects"
"Drugs and Freedom, What It Meazns To You"
"The War On Drugs And Why Its Wrong"
Etc.

If I was silly enough to try making those sorts of threads then personally I would have zero issues with moderators moving all those threads into a 'drug mega-thread'. Even though some of them, if you really care about the subject, would possibly be better discussed as a single issue. But to echo what virtually everybody in this thread has said so far- this is a linux/technical forum, not a drugs forum, or a religion forum.

IMO you should count yourself lucky that jeremy allows a potentially volatile thread on religion (or any other touchy subjects) to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntubski View Post
I think the "Rank your religiousness" thread should have its title amended to reflect its current status as the "Mega Religion" thread.
+1. It would be a more accurate discription of the thread as it stands, and would go partway to giving bluegospel what he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegospel View Post
By challenging, I'm speaking of maintaining several ongoing threads about different aspects of religion, rather than one "mega-thread" that dumps everything having to do with faith or religion under a profoundly anti-Christ (in principle, not as in, the OP is anti-christ) title, "Rank your religion."
Unless of course you are just using the thread title as leverage. Which wouldnt suprise me at all.

Last edited by cascade9; 01-12-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typos. as usual. :|
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #27
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with Slackware 14.
Posts: 2,456

Rep: Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506Reputation: 506
Blue, you should really, I mean REALLY, give up. I can usually see both points of any discussion (I can and do rip both side of many arguments) but you have totally lost the plot here and infact you have probably totally alienated yourself from anyone who would be willing to, even as devils advocate, attempt to give you some backing. LQ is not yours to use as an evangelism tool and believe it or not most people here don't want to continuously go through these same heated debates. Most people in sites like LQ are over it and just want to live and let live. My advice to you, again would be, and I have said this before, stop and wipe the dust from your feet etc etc etc.
 
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #28
AnanthaP
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Chennai, India
Distribution: UBUNTU 5.10 since Jul-18,2006 on Intel 820 DC
Posts: 583

Rep: Reputation: 121Reputation: 121
Hi Blue,

Take a deep breath and repeat daily

Quote:
Yes, I am a web programmer and so this forum is useful to me.

I tend to presumptuously cut off people but don't mind others putting me in my place since I am thick skinned. But I am not you enemy.

I will not troll the socks off people with what is not important to all of them who respond (and this is their perception - not "received" data).

I will not seek to improve my ranking or visibility by posting in the general thread or have a persecution complex about it.

HE>i. While I think that most everyone subscribes to this in their heart of hearts, I will not push this view beyond boring. (I can still have sane conversations).
Make this your new year resolution.

All the best and as I say, may God give the best of HSW (health, strength and wisdom).

OK.

Last edited by AnanthaP; 01-12-2012 at 04:50 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #29
fukawi1
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Distribution: Fedora & CentOS
Posts: 854

Rep: Reputation: 189Reputation: 189
I have somehow managed to refrain from commenting on any of your posts, but the time has come. bluegospel, you my friend, are a troll and based on the thread tag of "trollish" you are bloody well aware of it too.

I'll see you in hell!

Last edited by fukawi1; 01-12-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: In case it wasn't evident, the "friend" part was sarcastic
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
Larry Webb
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Jul 2006
Location: Crystal Beach, Texas
Distribution: Suse for mail +
Posts: 5,100
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 229Reputation: 229Reputation: 229
My opinion:

trolls love to be fed by members posting to their thread.

members who find a thread distasteful you should not post to that thread.

check out the post count.

if no one would post the op would eventually tire.

the thread would go "no where"

Last edited by Larry Webb; 01-12-2012 at 06:45 AM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
trollish


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
team-vs-team wargame announcement widno Linux - Security 0 08-21-2008 01:38 PM
We've got a Seti@HOME team, so how about a Folding@HOME team? Thymox LQ Suggestions & Feedback 9 04-30-2003 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration