||08-10-2006 09:45 AM
Junior to Mid-Level Systems Administrator Position
Questia is the first online library that provides 24/7 access to the world's largest online collection of books and journal articles in the humanities and social sciences, plus magazine and newspaper articles.
You will be part of a small team of administrators supporting mainly Linux and Solaris servers running a production website and corporate network. You should have a basic understanding of: Linux/Unix operating systems, database and networking concepts, open-source software such as Apache HTTP server, Postfix, CVS and Tomcat as well as have a basic ability to write scripts (bash, ksh, python, perl, etc...) This opportunity is in Houston, Texas and no relocation assistance will be available.
- Install and maintain Linux and Solaris systems. Monitor a large-scale Unix environment for problems, and resolve problems when identified.
- Work with our software engineering team to ensure adequate server and storage resources are available for new projects.
- Work very closely with our Database Administration team to ensure server and storage resources are available.
- Ensure that the entire environment is performing adequately, and any system or application problem that is causing reduced performance is identified, and resolved.
- Willingness to provide off-hours on-call support and work off-hours as necessary.
- Install new software releases, system upgrades, evaluate and install patches and resolve software related problems.
- Perform system backups and recovery.
- Prefer Bachelor's degree in a related area with 2+ years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with demonstrated commitment to producing high quality documentation.
- Ability to work well with others across many organizations including development, sales, marketing, finance, and customer support.
- Strong time management skills and proven ability to manage multiple tasks and meet all schedules.
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic.
In return for your hard work and dedication, we offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and a positive working environment!
To respond to this opportunity, send your resume and salary requirements to: