High-end hosting company looking for support rockstars [REMOTE]
A Small Orange, a high-end shared, reseller, and dedicated web hosting company based in Atlanta, GA, is looking for an enthusiastic, friendly, and knowledgeable technical support representative to join its growing team. At A Small Orange, we understand and recognize that, along with our customers, the people on our team are our most valuable asset.
At A Small Orange, you’re going to find a relaxed, yet professional atmosphere where employee growth and development, as well as fun, creativity, and innovation, is encouraged and rewarded. We want our employees to learn about what interests them and help A Small Orange grow and continue to succeed.
To attract the best talent and give our team members the most flexibility, A Small Orange lets its employees work from wherever they want, as long as they have a reliable, high speed Internet connection and can work reliably and be depended upon. Employees in the Atlanta area are of course welcome to work in our office.
A Small Orange pays competitive wages and offers flexible scheduling, a comprehensive benefits package, paid time off, and a variety of other perks and benefits. Because this position is full time, salaried, and includes benefits, we expect A Small Orange to be your only hosting-related job.
- Must be customer-focused, and willing to do whatever it takes to resolve customer issues. Going above and beyond is the standard at A Small Orange.
- Excellent written English. Support is currently provided over email only, but may expand to live chat and/or phone in the future.
- Must be familiar (not an expert) with Apache, PHP, MySQL, Unix shell (bash), email (POP3/IMAP/SMTP), FTP, DNS and other standard web hosting applications and protocols.
- Must be able to work under pressure when bad stuff happens and get the job done.
- Must be able to ask customers for complete error message or derive the context of their problem if they provide insufficient information.
Bonus stuff you might already know (you'll learn these on the job):
- Knowledge of PHP, Python, Perl and/or Ruby on Rails, and FastCGI
- Familiar with subversion and/or other versioning software
- Can install PHP from source, enabling required modules. Also, can install a separate Python version that is separate from the operating system version.
- Iptables firewalls
- Common customer website apps, like Drupal, WordPress, MediaWiki, Magento, ZenCart, etc
- MySQL commands for support or troubleshooting, like importing/dumping a database, simple SELECT statements or “SHOW PROCESSLIST”
Extra bonus (you'll learn these too, but if you know how to do these your resume will float to the top of the stack):
- You can write PHP, Python, Perl and/or Ruby on Rails applications (we have internal projects going on if you can)
- You can write shell scripts to automate common system tasks.
- You can debug httpd processes using 300MB of resident memory each and trace it to the script that's causing the problems
- You can read mail headers to identify a source of spam
- You can identify an IP address slamming a comments.php script with POST requests and block that comment spammer
- You can convert a MyISAM database to InnoDB and explain under what conditions you would want to.
- You can build a custom RPM package for CentOS 5.x from a source code download for distribution to multiple servers.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send a resume and a quick cover letter describing your experience with the basics, bonus and extra bonus above to jobs (at) asmallorange (dot) com. Please include the words “Technical Support Representative” somewhere in the subject.
We are not interested in hearing from hiring agencies or outsourcing companies.
Is this posted on Atlanta Linux Users (ALE) as well? I didn't see it there - it might generate a lot of interest.
Has the post been filled? Is there another job there now the company has expanded? I live in England so i could feasibly offer support very early in the morning (your time), perhaps as a part-time role to bolster the current position?
Please let us know if this thread has been "Solved" :)
Good luck and many thanks from
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.|